In Review: Involvement essential to campus community

Review Editorial Staff

Student involvement is important for a college campus, and many opportunities are available to shape both the way the campus is run and the teachers being hired on.

Students are given a chance to vote on new Washburn Student Government Association leaders through their Washburn accounts online Mar. 14-16.

To access the ballot, go onto your MyWashburn page, and before you login there should be a link to cast your vote. Remember to push your vote through – this is an important part of shaping your campus.

Look through their campaigns, find the issues that matter most to you – remember that this is one of the best ways to advocate for the change you want to see.

Washburn provides its students a choice in who they want to represent them and your vote could be the deciding factor in what issues come to the frontlines to be taken care of.

New incoming teachers are also given a vote by both current teachers and students. Look for emails in your department to attend a part of the hiring process.

Potential teachers are given a chance to lecture and be taken into the department. You can be a part of this process and decide whether or not you want a new hire to become part of your curriculum.

Additionally, students are given the opportunity to provide feedback on current teachers at the end of each semester in the form of online evaluations.

Students can also join clubs and organizations that influence Washburn’s campus culture directly. A student organization has many options and resources available to host events and programs you would like to see on campus.

Many organizations advertise volunteer and charity opportunities outside of their organization. Students interested in making a difference should keep an eye out for these opportunities.

Organizations can even seek funding for events from the Washburn Student Government Association.

In fact, any student enrolled in three or more credit hours with a GPA of 2.0 or higher can run for a seat in the WSGA Senate.

Senate meetings take place every Wednesday evening at 6 p.m. and are open to the public.

Be an active part in your campus, and remember that you have a say in what your school focuses on. Vote on incoming teachers, vote on your representatives – and remember that voting is an important part of being an active member in a community.