Law School Dean Announces He’s Stepping Down

Charles Rankin

Thomas J. Romig, dean of the Washburn School of Law, announced that he will step down from his position after the conclusion of the 2018 spring semester. 

In a press release, Washburn University President Jerry Farley said:

“Dean Romig has been an inspiring leader for the law school and has helped increase the reputation and visibility of the school during his tenure.”

In his time at Washburn, Romig has impressed the students who have come through the law program.

“He has had a really good run,” said RJ Seidel, first year law student. “It really seems like he cares for the students here and their success.”

Roming has been the law school’s dean since 2007, when he finished serving in the U.S. Army and Federal Aviation Administration.

Romig’s military career included working as a military intelligence officer for four years. After having had that experience, he pursued a law degree from Santa Clara University School of Law through Army Funded Legal Education Program, a program that annually selects 25 active duty Army officers to receive an education at the government’s expense.

After graduation, Romig began working in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps. He eventually became the 36th Judge Advocate General of the Army, where he led and supervised an organization of more than 9,000 personnel comprised of 5,000 active and reserve military and civilian attorneys, and more than 4,000 paralegal and support personnel spread throughout 328 separate offices in 22 countries, according the the Washburn University School of Law’s website.

While Romig may be stepping down as dean, he will still remain on as a member of the faculty.