Intramurals completes Washburn living at the SRWC (DO NOT PUBLISH- FOR FIRST ISSUE)

TREVOR BEURMAN

Washburn University prides itself on providing the best resources for students to use involving social life. One of the many resources provided for Washburn students is intramurals at the SRWC.

Getting involved is one of the most important aspects that any college student faces. Not only does it familiarize yourself with the rest of the campus, but it also brings other opportunities as well. Getting to know other people and making new friends is pretty much a given these days, so what is most important when it comes to intramurals?

Most students would say it is the competition. After all, it is what really brings us to the game that shapes how we perform. If you come to win, you may find others will as well. If you come to just have a good time, you will find people like that too. The best way to figure this out simply starts by showing up. You will never know until you try.

So where does an Ichabod student start his or her search into the intramural leagues? Well, if you are a part of a fraternity or sorority you are already one step ahead. Most fraternities and sororities have their own intramural teams. Some fraternities, like Sigma Phi Epsilon, pride themselves on being the best at intramurals year-round.

Ultimately you may decide on joining one of these organizations during your years at Washburn. If so, you will find it much easier to get involved with Greek Life at WU. What if you would like to join an intramural league, but choose not to be involved in Greek Life? Well, there are ways to get involved without sorority or fraternity life as well.

One of the best ways to get your name into intramurals is showing up to any intramural game at the SWRC. You can also start by completing required registration with the supported IMLeagues website as well as the REC-IT mobile app on Google Play and the App Store.

John Cummings, the Associate Director of Student Operations at the SRWC, says there are multiple opportunities for all students with intramurals.

“You get to interact with a wider variety of students at Washburn,” Cummings says. “Sometimes as we get into our academic programs we start to see the same students over and over again and so the [SRWC] is one of those places and intramurals, specifically, where there is a variety of students playing a variety of sports.”

I could not agree more. Variety is one of the key elements to Washburn intramurals. The list of sports seems to go on and on. From Table Tennis to Guitar Hero, and Just Dance to Badminton, intramurals are a melting pot of different opportunities.

“Basketball and soccer are our most competitive sports by far,” Cummings says. “Each sport that we have is going to have a few teams that are more competitive than others, we have had a number of student organizations put in teams just for a team building atmosphere.”

For the individual heading into intramurals, Cummings recommends finding a team instead of submitting your name into free agency.

“Unfortunately what we have seen is that most teams are not looking at free agents,” Cummings states. “So what we are trying to do is to push free agents to show up to intramural games looking for teams missing a player or a couple players and hopefully they ask you to show up next time.”

As for a student that joins intramurals, the benefits are endless.

Malcolm Mickelson, a student at Washburn University that competes in cup stacking had a few insights on the benefits of joining intramurals.

“The free t-shirts are great,” Mickelson says. “The knowledge that you are the second best cup stacker on campus is also quite nice.”