WU FAQ

REVIEW STAFF REPORT

What is A/Pass/Fail?

A/Pass/Fail is an option that many students take to spare their GPA in some cases. 

If a student chooses this option and they receive an A in the class, they will get an A on their transcript. If they receive a B, C or D in the class, the get credit for passing the course, but the letter grade does not affect their GPA.

If the student fails the class, they will receive an F grade on their transcript. Students are only eligible to take a course under the A/Pass/Fail option if they have completed 24 semester hours, have a cumulative GPA 2.0 or above and the A/Pass/Fail course is not in their major or minor. 

Student may not take more than one A/Pass/Fail course per semester. The downside to this option is that since the hours are not considered to be graded hours, this could affect the number of hours are you are considered to be taking for certain scholarships and requirements of full time enrollment.

For more information or to enroll in a course under the A/Pass/Fail option, visit the Student One Stop in Morgan Hall or email your request to [email protected].

What if you don’t get the FAFSA money you were expecting?

FAFSA is a great resource, but sometimes some of the funds don’t make it to you. 

If students pre-order your textbooks and charge your account through the Ichabod shop, the money gets taken out of your allotted FAFSA money and your reimbursement will either be smaller or you will end up owing money.

Since many students use their reimbursement money from FAFSA for essential items like rent, utilities and food, it is important to understand where this money is going.

Many people rent from popular textbook rental sites like Chegg or Amazon for this reason. Finding the most cost effective option for your textbooks is an easy way to avoid this unexpected cost.

Check to see if you can buy your textbook used, in an ebook edition or from a friend who has previously taken the course. 

Make the most of your money by understanding where your FAFSA money will go. 

The Financial Aid Office is a great resource for students and can always be reached at the One Stop Shop in Morgan or at 785-670-1151.

When is tuition due? What happens if I miss it?

Tuition is due for undergraduate classes at Washburn University and Washburn Tech on Sept. 1. 

For Washburn Law classes, tuition is due on Sept. 8. These can be paid online or in person at the Business Office by the Student One Stop located in Morgan. 

If you miss the deadline, your account is placed on hold, preventing the release of your transcript or diploma and late fees are charged on a sliding scale based on how many credit hours you are enrolled in. 

If you are taking 3 credit hours or less, the late fee is $25, 3.5-6 credit hours has a late fee of $50, 6.5-9 credit hours has a late fee of $75 and 9.5 or more credit hours has a late fee of $100. 

Keeping track of your WU View account is easy on the Financial Services tab on MyWashburn. 

If you notice a late fee added to your account and you feel that you should not be charged one, you can fill out a Late Fee Waiver, which can be found online or at the Business Office.

How can you start to be job ready as soon as possible?

Washburn has lots of resources that allow students to be prepared and ready to enter the workforce successfully.

Knowing the direction you are headed can be very helpful. If you are unsure of what you want to do in the future, a great way to get ideas is to gain experience early on.

This can be done through internships, volunteering or job shadowing. Taking a few hours out of your week to volunteer or work in an industry of interest can help you decide if it is what you want to do in the future.

The Career Services center on campus has many ways for students to get connected with organizations in the community to gain experience.

Once you know what you want to do, you have to have what it takes to get the job. This often requires a polished resume and solid interview skills.

The Career Services Center offers Walk-in Wednesdays from 1-5 p.m. to address drop-in questions. Appointments are limited to 15 minutes, but students can also visit the office in Morgan Hall 105 or call 785-670-1450 to schedule an appointment for more in-depth questions. 

The Career Services staff are experts on what employers are looking for and can help with resumes, mock interviews and much more.