Briefs Nov. 8

Mock Interview Day

From 8 a.m to 5 p.m. Nov. 8 in the Memorial Union, Stauffer Commons, and Washburn A&B, mock interviews will be held. Students can practice interviewing and prepare for their next job applications with area employers and human resources experts.

Healthy Relationships Lecture

From 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. Nov. 8 in the Mabee Library a lecture on healthy relationships will be held. There will be free pizza, and this event is free to any Washburn students.

Leroy Stutz

At 7 p.m. Nov. 9 in the Union Underground, the Campus Activities Board will be hosting Leroy Stutz, an airforce officer and pilot who was held as a prisoner of war for 2,284 days during the Vietnam War. All students are welcome to come and listen to the presentation.

UBU REX by Alfred Jarry

From 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Nov. 9-ll at the Georgia Neese Gray theater, UBU REX, a parody of MacBeth, will be performed. There are heavy adult themes and strong language in this play, and it is not recommended to anyone under 17. Entry is free with a WU ID.

Annual Veterans Day Ceremony

From 11:15 a.m. to 12 p.m. Nov. 10 at the Vietnam Memorial Site (SE Corner of Morgan Hall), Washburn will be hosting its 30th Annual Veterans Day Celebration. The schedule is as follows: 11:15 am – Cleansing and Smudging of memorial site, 11:25 am – Memorial Balloon Release for Agent Orange Victims, 11:30 am – Veteran Celebration. The keynote speaker is Mr. Meredith Kidd, U.S. Navy veteran and retired Dean of Students, WU. There will be a reception to follow in the Memorial Union, and it is free for all students.

Genderbread Coffee Talk

From noon to 2 p.m. Nov. 13, in the Union Underground, the Campus Activities Board will be presenting a “Genderbread Coffee Talk.” This event is free for all Washburn students.

Healing Roots: Indigenous Plant Knowledge in Tallgrass Prairie Literature

From 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 14 in the Bradbury Thompson Alumni Center, the Center for Kansas Studies at WU is presenting Dr. Aubrey Streit Krug. Krug will be giving a public talk called “Healing Roots: Indigenous Plant Knowledge in Tallgrass Prairie Literature.” This event is free to all Washburn students.

Etiquette Dinner

From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 1, 2, 3, and 6 in the Union, tickets for the Honors Student Council Etiquette Dinner will be on sale. The cost is $5 for students and $10 for the public. The dinner will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Nov. 14 in the Bradbury Thompson Alumni Center. There will be a certified etiquette coach and networking opportunities for students.

TEDxTopeka 2017

At 5 p.m. Nov. 9 at the Topeka Civic Theatre & Academy there will be an independently produced event with license from TED. There will be six live speakers, as well as two live-streamed ones and two art performances. Dinner will be served to all attendants. Speakers and performers will be available after to event for questions. Tickets can be bought online at www.tedxtopeka.com