Editorial: Purple Heart

EDITORIAL STAFF REVIEW

The Military Order of the Purple Heart will recognize our university outstanding commitment to veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces Nov. 9 by naming Washburn as a Purple Heart University.

Washburn will be the first university in Kansas to receive this honor and we’re honored to be a part of such a welcoming and supportive campus.

Washburn’s recognition of veterans goes far beyond the annual Veteran’s Day ceremony. 

Numerous resources are available through the Military Student Success Center in Mabee Library located in Room 206A, and the Office of University Diversity and Inclusion in Morgan Hall Room 105.

Veterans face unique challenges when beginning or returning to college. Among these are difficulties readjusting to civilian life, feeling socially isolated and balancing schoolwork with other obligations. Only 15 percent of student veterans are on traditional tracks, 47.3 percent are married and 47 percent have children, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs. 

Military.com lists specialized orientation and helping veterans connect with each other as successful ways for universities to assist veterans in overcoming these challenges.

Veterans are valuable members of our student body. They bring global experience and leadership skills to the campus that benefit us all and they must not be neglected.

We could not be more proud of our university for going above and beyond in its service to its veteran student body and honoring their sacrifices. Furthermore, it is a privilege to see Washburn recognized for its engagement with the veterans in our community.