Film student with big dreams works to gain experience during college

photo courtesy of Westen Smith
Mass media film student and spring graduate Westen Smith used his time at Washburn to prepare for his dream job.

This is Westen Smith’s dream: working at Letterman Digital Arts Center, the combined home of Industrial Light & Magic, LucasArts, and Lucasfilm’s marketing, online, and licensing units.

Smith has always had a love for movies and television; they played a significant role in his upbringing, and he aspires to one day see his own work on the big screen.

“It’s a big part of what drew me to Washburn. My love for movies and being able to learn it all within a small environment surrounded by great friends, which was a bonus,” Smith said.

It’s not surprising that “Star Wars” is his favorite movie. He genuinely cares about the brand.

Westen Smith, a mass media student with a concentration in film, dreams big as he prepares to graduate.

“My admiration for Steven Spielberg and George Lucas’s films led me to realize that I wanted to work in production. I would love to direct, but my passion is postproduction editing, creating special effects, iconic scenes and working with others who love visual storytelling,” said Smith.

One of the experiences he will take with him is his internship position at the Kansas Department of Corrections.

“I was looking for a summer job,” said Smith. “I knew I did not want to go to work at a warehouse. I wanted to focus on building my resume and portfolio. Then I heard there was an opportunity at the Kansas Department of Correction from Maria Stover, so I did the interview and got the job.”

Smith handles the corporate side of video work with the partner there. Together they rebranded the department’s entire YouTube channel, telling the stories of those within the system focusing on mental health resources and rehabilitation.

“I didn’t even know this position existed. I knew they were hiring corrections officers, but not videographers,” Smith said.

For the past year that he’s worked for the Kansas Department of Correction, he’s learned how important communication and compromising is. It’s more than just him. He’s part of a team who creates stories to capture individual perspectives on a certain topic and then uses those clips to create a compelling video narrative.

“Because video is a form of artwork, people can see it differently and sometimes want to change and switch it into a different direction. I had to learn that I must be able to communicate my ideas and compromise with others,” said Smith. “All decisions in the end are needed to create a great final product. My team and I are responsible for creating, editing, and managing video content, so communication is vital.”

Within his time there, he believes that he’s laid the groundwork for video work at the DOC. He hopes that another student can take his place and have the same opportunity.

“Everything is constantly changing in our field, but one thing that won’t change is how important communication is. Knowing you’ll meet people with different skill sets than you and knowing how to collaborate with them toward a common goal will only help you succeed. The most important thing is knowing when to help and when to take a step back, which I learned a lot while being a part of the Washburn Film Association,” Smith said.

Rachel Janzen, a friend of Smith’s and fellow member of the Washburn Filmmakers Association has worked with Smith on multiple projects. Their biggest project was a short 10-minute film called, You Never Do. Janzen directed, and Smith ran sound.

“Westen is a very driven individual. When he says he’s going to do something, he does it. He’s always happy to help and to learn more,” said Janzen.

Jess Seidel, another friend of Smith’s, has worked with Smith for the past two years.

“Westen’s unwavering determination to succeed is evident in his never give up attitude. His resilience is an inspiration to everyone who knows him, and he never lets setbacks discourage him from pursuing his goals,” said Seidel.

With his passion for Star Wars, his ultimate dream is to work for the franchise, but he would love to contribute to any feature film. The journey to the top may be long and challenging, but with his determination and acquired skills, Smith is ready to take on any opportunity in the film industry.

“I want to be a part of something big that moves an audience,” said Smith

Students in MM 403 Advanced Media Writing write stories for the Department of Mass Media. These stories are not edited or reviewed by members of the Washburn Review Staff. Members of MM403 write and edit these stories.