Editorial: Adulting made easier at WU

Review Editorial Staff

Adulting is hard but at Washburn, you are not completely helpless. The following are resources that members of our editorial team have used and found helpful to our personal, professional and academic success during our time at Washburn. 

For the health of it

Washburn provides free, quality mental health services. There are a few options for this. 

Washburn Counseling services is located in Kheune Hall room 200 and can be contacted at (785) 670-3100. 

If you’re having a rough time and you don’t know if therapy is right for you, come in on “Walk-in Wednesday” to chat with a counselor. 

Whether you are struggling with adapting to the college lifestyle or you are coping with an anxiety disorder, like one in five adults are according to the anxiety and depressions association of America, Counseling Services are available to help you. 

Additionally, Washburn’s graduate psychology program offers low cost therapy with graduate students. The Psychological Services Clinic is a treatment, research and training clinic. They offer individual and group therapy along with a variety of psychological testing services. Insurance is not needed and sessions are typically $10 each.

For tough classes 

Not everyone can be great in every subject. That’s what the tutoring center in Mabee Library is there to help with. The schedule for tutors is available in the library and online. 

Tutors are currently availble for mathematics, writing, biology/chemistry and accounting. 

For the future

Applying for your dream job, searching for an internship, or getting career counseling is a lot easier with the help of Career Services. 

Career Services is located in Morgan Hall 105 and can be reached at (785) 670-1450. Along with a plethora of online career resources, Career Services also holds events like the Career Fair and Resume Roadshow, gives individualized career counseling and advising  and has “Walk-in Wednesdays.” 

For when you’re hungry

A student survey done in 2015 at Washburn found that a shockingly high number of Ichabods are food insecure. 

College students should be focusing on their academics, not where their next meal is coming from. The Bods Feeding Bods pantry, located in Henderson 019 is available to anyone with a Washburn ID. It is open Mondays 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., Thursdays 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and Fridays from noon to 3 p.m.

For when you’re feeling sick

Washburn provides its students with free health care services in Morgan Hall 140. 

Some of the many services they offer are urgent care for illness and injury, primary care for chronic stable conditions, physicals and well-woman exams, sexually transmitted infections testing and treatment,  TB testing, urine testing, and referrals to community resources. 

Most services are provided at no cost, but some services and tests come with a small fee. Student Health Services can also write prescriptions and take walk-ins Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

While these services won’t eliminate the trials and tribulations of adulthood, they sure can ease the pain along the way. 

A few additional services on campus that deserve an honorable mention are the office of Diversity and Inclusion, Disability Services, the Military Student Success Center, SafeRide and Washburn’s confidential Campus Advocate, Molly Steffes-Herman. 

These services are here for your success, take advantage of them like so many other students have so you can be at your best.