Washburn tennis defeats Newman University

Sophomore, Paul Haase sets up a return during his doubles match against Newman.

Kendra Wicks

The tennis teams earned victories over Newman University March 3 in Wichita. The women went 6-3 and the men went 8-1 overall.

In doubles, junior, Alexis Czapinski and sophomore, Logan Morrissey bested the Jets’ No. 1 team 8-1. Juniors, MaKenna Gonzales and Ally Burr won the No. 3 spot, 8-6.

Sophomore, Jacqueline Engelbrecht demolished her No. 3 singles opponent with two 6-0 sets. Czapinski defeated Newman’s No. 1 player, Liza Gerasimova, 6-2 both sets. Morrissey battled in a tight match, finishing with 6-3 and 3-6 sets and a 12-10 tiebreaker.

Gonzales also fought through an up-and-down match, going 6-2, 2-6 and 10-2 in the tiebreaker.

Overall, the women held their ground well against the Jets and are now 4-2 this season.

“We played a pretty tight game,” said Burr. “We didn’t have a lot of unforced errors.”

As they continue, the players are focused on improving and building a strong record.

“I think we have a really good shot at being top four in the conference again and being right back in the national tournament,” said Burr.

The men also played close matches against Newman.

Senior, Blake Hunter and junior, Alejandro Valarezo smashed their doubles competitors 8-2. In the No. 2 slot, sophomores, Chase Brill and Paul Haase fought the Jets for a 9-7 win. Freshmen, Bradley Eidenmueller and Raul-Alin Dicu also played a tight match and pulled out a 9-7 win.

“We came out strong in doubles,” said Brill. “After we got up, we kept putting pressure on them and were able to come away with the win. Overall it was a good match.”

In singles, Valarezo defeated Newman’s No. 1 slot, Lauri Soome, with 6-1 and 6-4 sets.

Hunter took the No. 2 slot with 6-3 and 6-2 sets. Brill was up 4-0 in the first set when his opponent retired and forfeited the match. Haase was at 6-3 and 2-1 when his opponent also retired.

Dicu finished the match by quickly defeating the No. 6 spot with two 6-1 sets.

The men now have a 5-1 overall record and are feeling strong.

“As a team, I think we bring a lot of energy to every match,” said Brill. “We are a very close-knit group of guys and you can definitely tell when we walk out on the court together.”

Both teams are preparing to face the Northwest Missouri State Bearcats this Wednesday, March 7 on Washburn’s home courts.

“We haven’t had a win over them in a while,” said Brill. “I think we’re all excited to get a shot at them this year.”