Briefs- April 25- May 3

Tarana Burke – “MeToo” Movement

Washburn will host Tarana Burke at 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 25, in the Georgia Neese Gray Theatre of the Garvey Fine Arts Center on campus.

The American civil rights activist is known for being the first to use the phrase, “#MeToo,” back in 2006. She will be discussing her experiences and ways to raise awareness about the issues of sexual abuse and assault in society. This event is open to the public. For tickets, email [email protected].

Ecobods Plant Sale

The Ecobods will be selling plants in honor of Earth Day from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday, April 25 through Friday, April 27 at the South Entrance to Stoffer Science Hall.

This fundraiser is donation based, and funds will be support the Washburn Ecobods.

Anita Young Senior Art Exhibit and Gallery Talk

Washburn Art Building will house Anita Young’s Senior Art Exhibition starting at 8 a.m. Wednesday, April 25.

The exhibit is free and open to all Washburn students, and will be open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. until Sunday, April 29th. Young’s work focuses on mental health issues and giving victims a proper voice. There are oil paintings, charcoal drawings, and printmaking pieces.

At 11 a.m. Wednesday, April 25 Anita Young will be giving a gallery talk on her exhibit.

A Taste of the Islamic World

International Programs and the Memorial Union are hosting an International Culinary Experience from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Thursday, April 26, in the Memorial Union.

This event is free for Washburn students and costs $10 for faculty. If interested, register at www.washburn.edu/ice. There will be various demonstrations throughout the day, with a buffet from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., which does cost $12 at the door for all attendees.

Roundtable Discussion on Politics

Washburn Political Science Department and Washburn Institute for Politics will host a roundtable discussion from 5:50 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, April 26, in Henderson Learning Resource Center Room 308.

Kansas scholars will be present to discuss views and current events. This event is free and open to all Washburn students. 

Reading Discussion

Mabee Library will host a reading discussion at 4 p.m. Friday, April 27, in the Mabee Library.

The book under discussion is “Punks, Bulldaggers, and Welfare Queens: The Radical Potential of Queer Politics?” by Cathy J. Cohen. All Washburn students are free to attend and participate.

Success Week Begins

Washburn’s Success Week begins Monday, April 30, and ends Friday, May 4, in preparation for finals. Mabee Library will be open 24 hours weekdays during success week.

Leadership Event Showcase 

Washburn will host a leadership showcase from 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. Tuesday, May 1, in the Memorial Union.

This will be a series of poster presentations given by students of the LE100 course to show their Campus Action Projects. All Washburn students are free to come and see their peers’ projects.

Celebration of Teaching

Washburn will hold a celebration from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, May 1, in the Bradbury Thompson Alumni Center for faculty.

There will be food, drinks, and socializing. To register to save a space, visit: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/celebration-of-teaching-registration-36829760806.

Retiree Reception

Washburn will hold a retiree reception from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, May 1, in Washburn Room A.

This reception will acknowledge all of Washburn’s retiring staff. Dr. Jerry Farley and Mr. Ichabod will be present, and there will be snacks and refreshments. This event is open and free to all Washburn students. Cards are welcome, but no gifts.

Union Underground Live!!

The Memorial Union will host the Union Underground Live from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 2, in the Union Underground.

All Washburn students are free to come and listen to live music by local artists and enjoy other students’ company.

Black Student Union Spring Fling

The Black Student Union will host their Spring Fling from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday, May 2, on the East lawn of the Memorial Union.

This event is free and open to all Washburn students. There will be free food, activities, games, and prizes for all ages. There will be live performances done by local artists and DJ’s such as JQ, Siah, Monteazy Valentine, Moddo, and Quincy Taylor.