Know the law, enforce the law: dual degree offered

Autumn Lamp

Washburn University School of Law is now offering a new dual degree program with the Criminal Justice Department. The program allows students to get a J.D. from the School of Law and a Master of Criminal Justice (M.C.J.). Students pursuing this plan will take one full year of law school, which includes a required curriculum of law courses. After the first year, students can take a mix of law and criminal justice courses and, within just three years, obtain a degree.

{{tncms-inline content=”<p>“This degree is very helpful for students that are interested in high level investigative work or want to work with the KBI or FBI,” – Jalen Lowry, Dean of Student Affairs for WU School of Law</p>” id=”4f320fce-474f-4672-a132-d98f20c57102″ style-type=”quote” title=” ” type=”relcontent”}}

“This degree is very helpful for students that are interested in high level investigative work or want to work with the KBI or FBI,” said Jalen Lowry, Dean of Student Affairs for the Washburn University School of Law. The program is also great for students who are interested in the science aspect of criminal justice and the law. No general education classes or prerequisites are required to be admitted to the Washburn School of Law. As well as the criminal justice joint degree program, the law school also offers a variety of other dual degree programs and opportunities.

“One thing I love about Washburn is the law clinic,” said Lowry. Anyone attending the law school who has completed the basic courses can apply for a license and actually represent Washburn clients with the supervision of a noted professional. “This opportunity is often beneficial for clients because they get people to represent them who have more time to commit to their case, and provides students with hands on training with a safety net” said Lowry.

Lowry encourages students of all areas of study to consider the law programs offered at Washburn. “You can get a job almost anywhere with a law degree, and most businesses are always looking for someone with a law degree because everything is bound by the law,” said Lowry.