7 effective ways to earn cash this summer

DeyJa Cardenas

As Summer approaches, so does the dust collecting in our wallet. For some students, financial aid is our only income. It has been said that summer, to college students, is no more than a three-month trial in which we try to earn as much money as possible, also trying to get fit. I can’t speak on behalf of ALL of us broke college students, but this summer, I can’t seem to find the time for a nine to five. Summer is the time to take a break and get in touch with your family before the next semester. However, we still have bills to pay. I decided to explore ways that could potentially earn me some cash, as well as give me the power to control my own hours.

1.     Mowing thy neighbor’s grass

First things first, make sure you have a working lawn mower. Next, stroll around your neighborhood on the hunt for yards that seem to be lacking upkeep. Be friendly, knock on doors and offer your expertise in mowing the lawn. Keep it cheap: $10-15 depending on the size of the yard. You never know a person’s situation and why they aren’t mowing their lawn; maybe they physically can’t, or they just don’t have time. Offering your assistance could significantly impact someone’s day.

2.     Selling thy oldies but goodies

Yard sale. If you’re going home for the summer, consider going through your old belongings. As the saying goes, “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.” All you need is two empty totes: “keep” and “sell.” Sitting outside with your pals or family on weekend mornings waiting for your earnings to increase off your old goods might result in a bonding experience and some extra cash. The best part is, you can work in your pajamas!

Also try selling old clothes to up-cycle stores such as Plato’s Closet or Once Upon A Child. Both stores buy and sell clothes that are currently trending. There are a few popular apps that allow users to safely sell used items, such as Ebay or LetGo.

3.     Selling thy art

Creativity: some of us have it, some of us don’t. For those of us who have always wanted to “share their art with the world,” I say, try it. Set up a few tables outside with a sign, prop up some of your art, apply price tags, stay humble and start earning. There are a few websites where users can sell their art safely and securely as well, such as Facebook, Etsy, Ebay or LetGo.

4.     Donating thy Plasma

The word “donate” might throw some of us off, however, most plasma donation centers compensate first-time plasma donors $75 or more. This option isn’t as much fun as a yard sale, but keep in mind that your donation could potentially save someone’s life. Contact your local plasma donation center for further details and requirements.

5.     Pawning thy riches

Pawn shops are a quick way to earn some fast cash. Pawn shops loan cash or buy a whole range of things: DVDs, digital cameras, leather coats, instruments, phones, jewelry and more. It’s important to note that pawn shops may offer as little as 10% of what your item is worth, so I’d recommend calling your local pawn shop for limitations and further details.

6.     Babysitting

The evolutionary coming of age job, babysitting. Summer isn’t just for kids; once in a blue moon, parents decide to go somewhere that isn’t exactly “kid friendly,” and it’s up to you to help them make this happen. Being a babysitter is a fun way to earn cash, experience and, in some cases, friends. There are several obligations in becoming a babysitter, which you can easily look up online.

7.     Driving for cash

We’ve all had to be the “designated driver,” but how about getting paid to drive strangers around? Drunk driving is dangerous, but many Americans still follow through with it. Many jobs have been created to try to crack down this awful epidemic, such as Lyft and Uber. Working for such companies, one can earn cash and save lives on game nights.

Disclaimer: There are many ways to earn money over the summer without having to work eight-hour days. It is important to add that if you decide to pursue any of these alternative routes to earning cash fast, you must stay safe. Try to keep company around when hosting a yard sale, as people do get robbed at yard sales. There is an app that sends your exact location to your chosen recipients to ensure your safety, called Bsafe. I recommend keeping an eye on your surroundings and staying cautious when pursuing any of these quick cash options. Stay safe, good luck, and enjoy your summer!