Technical difficulties presents the past and prepares for the future

Get in on the fun: The yearbook staff will be taking photos for the 2021-22 yearbook. Come get a photo taken on Nov. 8, from 3-8.

It is that time again for the reflection on the year before. The Kaw Yearbooks are delivered and ready to be handed out.

After a crazy year of social distancing and Zoom calls, the 2020-2021 Kaw Yearbook helps to gather the bright days in a dark year.

With a suiting theme of technical difficulties, Washburn can be seen as it paused for the year and loaded up a new screen.

Student media produces three publications, the Bod Magazine, the Kaw Yearbook and the Washburn Review. Though last year the teams were small in numbers, each persevered and pushed out a considerable amount of content.

“I feel like because of all the difficulties we got to cover something really special. We got to cover history as it was happening. We got to see Washburn University in a pandemic. There will never be another time exactly like this, so that is just really cool to be able to do,” said Anna-Marie Lauppe, the Editor-in-Chief of the 2020-2021 yearbook.

With a team of three, Lauppe confided in her colleagues to help finish the yearbook. With a writer, a designer, herself and help from other student media staff members, Lauppe was able to finish her yearbook by the end of the summer.

The thematic yearbook helped to captivate how weird the year had been and what Washburn did to accommodate.

“There is a common theme throughout the entire book and I hope everyone is able to appreciate it,” said Cody Dannar, the leadmain designer for the yearbook.

The new issue of the Kaw Yearbook is available to students free of charge.

The most convenient place to pick up this rendition of the yearbook is located right outside of the student media office. YThe previous yearbooks from previous years are also available at this location.

This year, there have been some additions to the yearbook team. As a graduate student, Lauppe needed a sidekick to help her through this year.

I was hired to help Lauppe with the 2021-2022 yearbook as a Co-Editor-in-Chief. This year we will be creating a yearbook together.

While we have been trying to keep up with the ongoing events and have had help from Jules Miller and Gavyn Pyle, we also have been trying to push our latest yearbook out.

Not only do we need help from our staff to create a great yearbook for the 2021-2022 school year, but we also need students’ and faculty’s help.

We have an upcoming event where everyone is able to get their picture in the yearbook. On Monday, Nov. 8 the yearbook team will be taking photos of students, faculty and organizations at the Bradbury Thompson Alumni Center from 3 pm to 8 pm.

The yearbook team wants students and others to be able to reflect on the year and preserve towards the next.

Edited by Ellie Walker, Kyle Manthe