Bod Briefs Issue 10

‘Get Out the Vote’ Open Mic Night

From 7-9 p.m. Nov. 1, Sigma Tau Delta will be hosting an evening for students to encourage others to vote Nov. 6 through short stories, poetry, raps, standup comedy and more at Carole Chapel. Annette Billings will be a guest speaker at the event.

‘The Pillowman’ by Martin McDonagh

At 7 p.m. Nov. 2 and 3, the Washburn University Theatre Department will be performing at the Neese Gray Theatre. The content is recommended for ages over 17. Tickets are $8 for the community and free for students, faculty and staff.

HallWUeen-Trick or Treat off the Street

5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 31. At Memorial Union/Stauffer Commons. Bring your family and friends to Washburn to celebrate the Halloween spirit! There will be a haunted maze, pumpkin and face painting, ice cream, popcorn, goodie bags, and a photo booth.Come enjoy some Halloween fun. 

Washburn Pitch Competition

Nov. 2. is the deadline to register. The Pitch Competition encourages students to explore and express their business ideas in a friendly and encouraging environment. The competition is open to all Washburn University undergraduate and graduate students and Washburn Tech students.  You can compete alone or in teams of up to three people. $25,000 in cash prizes has been made available from Go Topeka to help students start a new business venture. The knockout round starts Nov. 8 and the finals round is Nov. 15.

Student Volunteer Registration

Nov. 1 to Jan. 26. Leadership Challenge Event student volunteer registration opens. This is for any current Washburn University/Washburn Tech student who wishes to be involved in the 2019 Leadership Challenge Event.

Important Dates

Nov. 2 is the last day to withdraw from a course or change grade status to or from A/Pass/Fail. 

Nov. 6 is the last day to vote. Please vote. 

Tails on the Trail 2018

9 a.m. to noon Nov. 3 at 300 NE 43rd St. is Topeka’s favorite dog-friendly 5k run, one mile walk and family event. This is a fundraiser for Helping Hands Humane Society in Topeka, Kansas, and over the past eight years, they have donated $102,000. It will take place on the scenic Shawnee North Nature Trail with a free photo booth (dogs welcome in the booth), vendors, a silent auction, food, music and more. Note that the trail is a mix of flat terrain and hills. It includes grass and dirt surfaces.

Internship in the Kansas Legislature Class

Nov. 21 is the last day to apply for this internship. Go the political science department and ask for an application or get it online and email it to Bob Beatty. Every spring, the political science department coordinates internships in the Kansas Legislature. Students are matched with legislators according to student preference for party and chamber. They are able to receive course credit for the internship by taking PO 307 or HN202 (a gen ed class). Students do not have to be a political science major to take the class and do the internship. Three to four of the internships come with $1,500 stipends.