Bod Briefs Issue 8

Health Career Fair 

From 12 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 17 at Memorial Union/Stauffer Commons. There will be health care organizations to learn about various career opportunities. Students are encouraged to explore their options with a diverse group of employers and inquire what they are looking for in job candidates.

Lecture Series in Economics and Free Enterprise

From 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. Oct. 18 at Bradbury Thompson Alumni Center. Featuring Professor Edward Yardeni, well-known economics, author and president of Yardeni Research, Inc., a provider of global investment strategy and asset allocation analyses and recommendations.

Open Mic Poetry Speak Out

From 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Oct. 18 at Memorial Union. In honor of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, Washburn will be hosting a free open mic poetry event on campus. Students, staff, administration and the Topeka community are encouraged to bring up to three pieces of spoken word that support equity, respect and survivors of domestic violence. This event provides a safe space for our brave community to speak up and speak out against the use of violence in relationships while also empowering and supporting survivors.

If you are not in the space to share, please feel free to come and listen to the words of others. Counseling and advocacy services will be available.

Week Without Violence March and Rally

From 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 19 at Kansas State Capitol. Gather at 12 p.m. for a rally against gender-based violence on the South steps of the Kansas State Capitol building before marching to the YWCA Northeast Kansas at 12th St. and Van Buren. Show your solidarity for survivor-victims of gender-based violence in our community and have your voices heard. Hotdogs, beverages, and snacks will be served after the march at the YWCA courtesy of the Topeka Police Department and the Shawnee County Sheriff’s Office. This event is sponsored by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas.

Ichabod’s Special

From 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Oct. 19 at Topeka Haunted Woods. Bring your Washburn ID, get half off the cost of the haunted hike. Meet stars from AMC’s The Walking Dead and get your team together for Zombie Laser Tag.