Annual Kansas Day lecture preview

Editor’s note: This is the correct information for the Kansas Day lecture. Our sincerest apologies to those affected by the publishing of the original, incorrect version. Edited Jan. 30.

Washburn University will host the annual “Kansas Day Lecture” at 3 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 29 in the Rita Blitt Art Gallery. Preceding the lecture, refreshments will be offered at 2:30 p.m. This event is free and open to the public. Guest speaker, Professor Robert Warrior, Hall Distinguished Professor of American Studies and Culture at the University of Kansas and a member of the Osage Nation, will discuss the lecture, “The Finest Men We Have Ever Seen: Thomas Jefferson, the Osages and the Roots of White Supremacy in the United States,” which will discuss the 1804 meeting between President Thomas Jefferson and Osage leaders.

Editor’s Note: This is not the correct information for this year’s Kansas Day Lecture. We are working on an updated version of this story to let you in on what you may have missed. Thank you and our sincerest apologies for any confusion.

Washburn University has a big event planned for the annual Kansas Day lecture. There will be a reception before the lecture at 2 p.m. in the Mulvane Art Museum on campus. There will be a special guest featured, George Frazier, who will speak around 3 p.m. in the museum in the Rita Blitt Art Gallery. It is free and open to the public to attend, as well as any students and family. George Frazier is the author and creator of a traveling log of books called, “The Last Wild Places of Kansas: Journey into Hidden Landscapes.” It entails his journey of traveling and roaming Kansas by different methods of transportation: car, canoe and by foot. He journeys across Kansas, from Kansas City, Kansas to the Cimarron National Grassland in Elkhart, Kansas. It is to be held on Jan. 29, which falls on a Tuesday this year. There will be refreshments and opportunities to view different art pieces that are located in the Mulvane Art Museum.  

If you have any questions, you can contact Joy Bailes, Assistant Director of University Relations, who will be able to answer any questions about the event, by her phone (785)-670-2153, or her email [email protected] 

Antonia De La Rosa, a freshman business management major, was not aware about the lecture.

“I’ve lived in Kansas for a long time, and I never knew that there was an actual “Kansas Day”, let alone a whole lecture about it. This is extremely interesting to me, and I heard there would be an author there to talk about his work, which is frankly amazing. I don’t know the premise of it, but I would love to find out, because learning new things is exciting, and this really piques my interest,” said De La Rosa. 

Rebecca Lewis, a sophomore mass media major, likes that Washburn devoted an entire event to it.

“The fact that Washburn holds an event and lecture for Kansas Day is huge. Washburn as a university doesn’t need to provide something like this, but they do. They prepare a whole event for it, get a guest speaker and gather people from the community. They put a lot of effort into this, and I heard that a large number of people come every year. I have never attended, but I figure that why not do it now, while I am thinking about it and in school. I get the feeling that if I don’t go, I will miss out on something and miss out on a learning opportunity, even if it has nothing to do with my major,” said Lewis.