Abigail McCrory achieves magnificent seven award

Reaching New Heights: Marketing student, Junior Abigail McCrory receives award, recognizing her effort at Washburn but also in Topeka. She looks forward to giving back to the Topeka community in the years to come.

Abigail McCrory

Confident, prepared, optimistic and reliable…
Junior Abigail McCrory, majoring in marketing and entrepreneurship at Washburn, learned the skills of managing and owning a business while observing her parents develop a coffee shop in Rossville, Kansas.
McCrory was a recipient of the School of Business Magnificent Seven Award as one of Washburn’s top students specializing in marketing. This award is meant to acknowledge students who best represent the School’s core values – honesty, trust, fairness, respect, integrity and responsibility.
“I think the beauty of the Magnificent Seven Award is that it is not solely based on academic performance,” said McCrory. “The winners are so diverse. We’re all a friendly face on campus.”
While pitching business ideas, McCrory won second place and $6,000 in this year’s Washburn Pitch Competition. During the second attempt of participating in this competition, she received first place and $8,000. McCrory also received a $15,000 grant from the Student Business Accelerator Fund to jump start her business proposal.
“It’s really exciting that Topeka believes in Washburn, and that the School of Business has all of these opportunities to help young entrepreneurs get going,” said McCrory.
Working three part-time jobs, McCrory worked as a student caller alongside Courtney Artman, development director of annual giving at the Washburn University Alumni Association and Foundation. In three years, McCrory raised over $40,000 to give back to the School of Business.
“[In the future] I see Abigail running and overseeing her business in the Topeka area,” said Artman. “She’s set her heart on helping the Topeka community when she graduates.”
McCrory plans to use these funds to start a coffee truck business. McCrory’s passion also extends beyond her coffee truck plan by aspiring to become a serial entrepreneur in Topeka.
“Marketing obviously helps with social change because marketing is the study of how people make decisions and purchasing decisions,” said McCrory.
McCrory also supports and works alongside GoTopeka as they develop the revitalization of the capital city in their 2022 movement.
“Topeka has a lot of negative stigmas around it,” said McCrory. “I’d like to be able to use the social change aspect to cultivate more entrepreneurial or positive experiences for Topeka.”
McCrory’s minor is in leadership with an emphasis in social change. When combined with marketing and entrepreneurship, these make for powerful and valuable skills.
Rick LeJuerrne, a lecturer in entrepreneurship, taught McCrory in class, but oversaw competitions that McCrory was a part of.
“What’s more exciting is [finding out] what she’s going to do later in life,” said LeJuerrne. “She’s got this skill set that I would watch out for. Eventually, I see her as a business owner and who knows what that will be.”
The most notable trait that LeJuerrne observes about McCrory is her determination in anything that she does.
“Her key advantage is that she’s great at presenting a plan, while taking advantage of opportunities,” said LeJuerrne.
McCrory holds a keen eye to developing a business plan, but holds compassion in her heart to give back to a larger community.
“We’re really taking our leadership to the next level, not only being good business students, we’re focusing on Topeka and the community,” said McCrory.

Edited by Bri Smith, Matthew L. Self