Bod Briefs Issue 20

Start off Women’s History Month right!

Sigma Alpha Iota Theta Chapter, the music fraternity for women, is hosting a Women of Music Philanthropy Concert at 7:30 p.m. Friday, March 1 at White Concert Hall. The concert will feature compositions from female composers. Performers include Washburn University faculty and students. Members of Sigma Alpha Iota will be accepting items for a canned food drive before and after the concert, which will be donated to Harvesters in Topeka. In addition to the canned food drive, they will also mail CDs of the concert to audience members for a suggested $10 donation, which will go to Sigma Alpha Iota Philanthropies, Inc. 

Westboro Baptist Church wins

Political science professor, Steve Cann, will present and lead a discussion on “Westboro Baptist Church Wins Before the U.S. Supreme Court” at noon Tuesday, March 5 in Mabee Library. This event is part of the semester-long Themester.

2019 Hefner Heitz Kansas Book Award

Mabee Library celebrates the 2019 Hefner Heitz Kansas Award in Poetry winner Particia Traxler at 4 p.m. Tuesday, March 5. Traxler will read from her winning submission “Naming the Fires.” Books are available for purchase and refreshments will be served.

Who wants to play Cards Against Humanity?

David Hall, hypnotist and comedian, will come to Washburn at 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 5 in the Andrew J. and Georiga Neese Gray Theatre. Hall will entertain with his Cards Against Hypnosis Show.

BOWTIE Rescheduled

The BOWTIE event was rescheduled for 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 6 in Washburn A and B. Students interested can connect with students about organizations or departments on campus.

Media Freedom: A Global Overview

Mass media professor Maria Stover discusses “Media Freedom: A Global Overview of Countries and Trends,” at noon, Wednesday, March 6 for the International House Brown Bags. Bring a lunch and learn about media freedom around the world.

Who Freed the Slaves

Professor of history and American studies at KU, David Roediger discusses “Who Freed the Slaves and Why It Matters,” at 3 p.m. Wednesday, March 6 in the Bradbury Thompson Alumni Center.

Do you know your First Amendment?

A pop-up workshop is taking place for WU-mester from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Thursday, March 7 in the Union Underground. It will be a Coffee Talk with students from the Washburn School of Law. People will leave with a better understanding of the five rights guaranteed to you by the First Amendment.This event is open to the public and coffee will be provided at the event.