Take the H2O Project Challenge

Matthew L. Self, Review Editor in Chief

Around the world, millions of people live in abject poverty and have no access to clean water. They instead must survive on water polluted with waste and parasites that leads to many of the indigenous peoples dying of sickness related to the dirty water they drink. However, there is hope and it starts right here at Washburn.

The Catholic Campus Center challenges students at Washburn to take part in the H2O project to help improve the lives of people around the globe. The challenge is simple: beginning on March 6, students who take the challenge will abstain from drinking anything but water for two weeks. Students will collect the money that they would have normally spent on soft drinks during the two week period and donate it to the H2O project which will then send the money to impoverished communities who will use the cash to drill wells to provide themselves with clean water.

Students partaking in the challenge will wear special bracelets to show they are participating and will be given scorecards to keep track of their progress in drinking only water. Students can donate the money they have gathered to the Catholic Campus Center from Tuesday through Friday.

In two weeks students can gather enough money to give impoverished people around the globe a chance to have fresh water for their entire community for years to come. Staying away from soft drinks for two weeks can also lead to a healthier diet for the students taking part in the challenge.

Patti Lyon, a campus minister, said that the program is a great way to support people around the world.

“This challenge doesn’t cost much and has far-reaching benefits for all those involved,” she said. “This project will provide countries with clean drinking water that will reduce sickness and infant mortality rates.”

Emma Showalter, president of God’s Bods, spoke about how the project will be represented on campus.

“There will be a large banner made by God’s Bods on display in the union while the project is underway. There will also be flyers up all over campus encouraging people to join,” she said. “It’s a fun way to challenge yourself and take part in a service project that is nationwide.”

This will be the fourth year that the Catholic Campus Center has taken part in the event. It is open to all students at Washburn who wish to take part in the project. For more information on the project be sure to check out http://www.theh2oproject.org/ or contact God’s Bods.

An information table will be set up in the Washburn University Student Union on March 4 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. to kick off the project. Stop by the table for details and a bracelet to remind you of your commitment to the project. Donations will be accepted at the Catholic Campus Center, 1633 SW Jewell, from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday during each of these two weeks. A table will also be set up on March 25 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. to accept donations.