Black Excellence Ball welcomes everyone

Washburn Black Student Union and Washburn Student Government Association will host their Black Excellence Ball at 6:30 p.m to 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 27 in Ruth Garvey Fink Convocation Hall at the Bradbury Thompson Alumni Center. 

The Black Excellence Ball is a social and networking opportunity for everyone to come together and meet each other. It’s also a time to show off beauty when people can dress up and look nice at the event rather than wearing the daily sweatshirts and jeans when going to school. It brings a different energy to everybody.

Everyone is welcome to attend the ball. Admission is free with Washburn ID but a $5 donation will be required without a Washburn ID. 

D’Mya Valdivia, sophomore anthropology and communication major, is a member of WBSU.

“We would like to do something fun [and] outside the box,” said Valdivia. “It’s just a fun thing, something different for students to go to when you dress up and look good,” Valdivia said. 

The Black Excellence Ball is a night of music, dancing and black excellence. There will be a red carpet and photos will start at 6:30 p.m., and photographers will available to help people take photos at the photo booth. People will also be able to enjoy food at the ball.

“I think it would be good if the crowd on our campus all come together and have a good time, focusing on the positivity instead of anything else going on,” said Valdivia.

Valdivia thinks it’s meaningful to get to know other students on campus.

“I feel like everyone is isolated and in their own groups. I think it’s good to get outside of the box and actually meet new people of diversity,” Valdivia said.

People can find a type of dance they like at the ball. Everyone listens to the music and enjoys the time. There will be some line dances, couple dances, slow dances and fast music so there will be something for everyone.

Taylor Matthews, sophomore radiology major, is also a member of WBSU.

“I personally think it’s a good idea to show that Black Student Union is not just for black people,” said Matthews. “We want everybody to come and this is the event for the entire campus. This is more an inclusive event and we want to make Washburn a more inclusive place.”

If anyone is interested in music and dancing, a night out or networking with people, visit the Black Excellence Ball.

“Come and look your best and feel your best,” said Matthews. “When you show your best, you are going to do your best.”