Enrollment increase reaches record high

Editor’s Note: This article was originally published on Friday, September 22, 1961.

Dean Arthur F. Engelbert, acting president of the University, reported Monday that enrollment had reached a record high or 3,237 students, a 12 per cent increase over last year’s student population at the same time last year, including 2,052 in the College of Liberal Arts, 151 in law school, and 1,034 in the evening college and graduate program in education.

Freshman and transfer students totaled 828, crowding figures over the 10 per cent anticipated enrollment increase and closing many classes early during registration.

Dean Engelbert expressed gratification at increasing university enrollment, sighting growth as one symptom of vitality.

He continued, “There is every reason for Washburn’s continued growth so long as increasing financial support maintains the same pace.”

“State support, which Washburn is receiving for the first time this fall, has made possible not only a balanced budget for the University, but the addition of new faculty to provide for the enrollment increase.”

Washburn students this fall are enrolled for 32,491 credit hours, again representing a substantial increase over last year’s figures.

At the end of last semester, Washburn students were enrolled in 27,079 credit hours.