Catholic Campus Center sponsoring annual giving tree project

Jessica Mills

ing the Washburn community if there is a little St. Nick in each of them.

The center is sponsoring its fifth annual giving tree project and has asked HALO and the Washburn Residence Council to help with the tradition.

Giving trees are set up in three locations: the Catholic Campus Center at 1633 S.W. Jewell, the multi-cultural affairs office in Morgan Hall Room 110 and in the Living Learning Center lobby.

Angel tags have been placed on the trees containing items suitable for infants, small children and preteens. Some of the items include puzzles, dolls, crayons, books, winter clothing and sports equipment.

“I think it’s harder on the smaller children at Christmas time,” said Patti Lyon, director of the Catholic Campus Center. “That’s why we choose to donate to the kids.”

All of the gifts collected will be donated to the Rescue Mission, Let’s Help, Doorstep and Kaw Valley Center, a behavioral health care organization. These organizations provided a list of items for the angel tags. Participants can choose which organization they would like their donation to go to.

“No matter what faith you are, human beings have a responsibility to the community to help those in need,” said Lyon. “Getting involved with the giving tree is a good way to express that.”

Lyon said it is mostly students who get involved each year, but she would like to see more faculty and staff get involved.

“Students need to realize there is a need in our own community,” said Lyon. “There is great meaning in helping others. The giving tree helps reach out to everyone.”

Members of the Catholic Campus Center are hoping that the giving tree will continue to be a holiday tradition for many years.

“Christmas is a time of giving,” said David Fernkopf, an active member and former president of the Catholic Campus Center. “It’s a great time to give to the community.”

Gifts should be returned to one of the trees with the angel tag attached before 5 p.m. Friday, Dec. 8. Volunteers are needed to help deliver the gifts on Tuesday, Dec. 12.

For more information, contact Patti Lyon at (785) 233-2204 or at [email protected].