Library authors blogs to aid information distribution

Sarah Farlee

Mabee Library has undergone a technical renovation.

Recently the library has investigated possible ways to reach students and draw them to the library for more than class projects by capitalizing on the new social networking explosion via the world wide web.

Internally, the library uses wiki and instant messaging to help staff communicate. A future goal of the library is to offer messaging outside of the library. Students in need of library assistance could simply send instant messages via home computers or cell phones. This would offer students wider access to the library services.

A new feature that is part of a new wave of blogging technology is reference and media blogs.

The reference blogs are used to share information with students and faculty regarding the general library collections and materials needed for research papers or other assignments. The blogs are still very generic in their content, but the authors are working toward making them more sophisticated. The blog is updated weekly on Wednesday evenings.

In the future the reference blogs would be available for students to share information regarding materials. Suggesting materials, reviewing articles or sharing information that will be helpful will also allow reference staff to connect on a more direct basis with the students. Currently the blogs are open to the public to post and browse.

The media blog is used to share information regarding the available library collections. Through inter-library loan grants the library has been able to purchase some foreign classic films, and through Friends of Mabee funding has been set aside to build a collection of AFI top 100 films.

The library is also looking to continuously update and become more technologically involved. Virtual guides of the library, as well as more interaction with its users, are all in the near future of the library.

“The library has researched the new generation of student,” said Judy Druse, acting assistant director for public services. “If that’s where users are, that’s where we want to be.”