Wildcats overtake Bods in triple overtime thriller

Washburn Senior guard Michael Williams moves past K-State guard Jermaine Maybank during Saturday’s Exhibition thriller

Matt Resnick

The Bob Huggins era encountered unexpected turbulence last Saturday night in Manhattan as the Washburn Ichabod’s men’s basketball team took the Kansas State Wildcats into triple overtime before falling 94-90.

“The KU game was a pretty good one to get us ready for this one,” said Bob Chipman, Washburn head basketball coach. “It’s a tough situation for them, it’s their coaches first outing and their expected to beat up on us.”

Led by Paul Byers, Washburn sophomore forward, the Ichabods jumped out to a 13-8 lead and maintained a 33-26 margin at halftime. The Ichabods shot 43 percent from the floor in the first half while holding the Wildcats to 29 percent and out rebounding them 23-18.

The Ichabods suffered a major blow in the second half when Frank Phifer, senior forward, and Washburn’s primary post presence, fouled out with 8:16 remaining and the Ichabods clinging to a 58-56 lead.

“We didn’t really panic that much, but I felt bad for Frank,” said Chipman. “They did a great job of getting people around him, double teaming him and playing him different all the time. I think they were surprised that when he fouled out we had some other guys who could score in the post.”

The Wildcats regained the lead 63-62 at the five minute mark, and extended the lead to 65-62 after Cartier Martin, Kansas State senior forward, hit a 15-foot jump shot. The Ichabods then went on a 5-0 run capped by junior guard Andrew Meile’s 3-pointer with 2:10 remaining. Washburn led 68-67 with 50 seconds remaining in the game when David Hoskins, Kansas State senior guard, was fouled, hitting one of two free throws to tie the score 68-68. Each team had a chance to win as time wound down but could not capitalize, and the game went into overtime.


Dylan Channel, Washburn junior forward, hit one of two free throws with 3:45 remaining tying the score at 71-71. Channel then made a layup with three minutes to go to put the Ichabods up 73-71. Clint Stewart, Kansas State junior guard, hit a 3-pointer to put the Wildcats up 74-73, Martin then stretched the lead to three after hitting a jump shot. With 40 seconds remaining, Byers hit a key 3-pointer to tie the score 76-76. Clint Stewart, Wildcat guard, turned the ball over as he tried to play for the last shot. The Ichabods called a time-out with 10 seconds remaining. Michael Williams, Washburn senior guard, brought the ball up court and front rimmed a fade away jump shot as time expired.

Second overtime

Luis Colon, Kansas State freshman forward, made a lay-up to open the second overtime, After a Stewart free throw, Williams hit a 3-pointer to tie the score at 79. After K-State regained the lead, Williams hit another 3-pointer to put Washburn up 82-81. The Wildcats then went on a 4-0 run to take an 85-82 lead with less than one minute remaining. Williams then hit his third 3-pointer of the overtime to tie the score 85-85 with 43.5 seconds remaining. The Ichabods forced a jump ball and regained possession with .18 seconds remaining. With time winding down, Meile missed a wide open 12-foot jump shot.

“I’m kind of streaky,” said Williams. “After I hit the first 3-pointer my confidence shot up, and then the second and third one. I wasn’t even thinking about it at that point, I was just letting it go.”

Third overtime

The Wildcats went up 87-85 after Martin hit a jump shot with three minutes remaining in the third overtime. Sisk then made a layup and was fouled but missed the free throw. The Wildcats took a 90-87 lead. With .25 seconds remaining, Williams was fouled as he drove for a layup, making one of two free throws. The Ichabods quickly fouled Martin who hit both free throws to put the Wildcats up 92-88. Meile hit a layup with 2.3 seconds remaining to pull the Ichabods within two. Martin went back to the line with two seconds remaining and hit both free throws, making the final score 94-90, Wildcats.

Byers had a double-double with 26 points and 10 rebounds, and Williams finished with 17 points and 4 assists. The Ichabods hurt themselves at the free throw line making only 9 of 20. Hoskins led the Wildcats in scoring with 29 points also grabbing 10 rebounds, and Martin finished with 19 points and nine rebounds.

The Ichabods play next at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 15, at Lee Arena against Kansas Wesleyan. After that, the Ichabod will travel to Portales, N.M., to play two games in the Eastern New Mexico Tournament Nov. 17-18.