Campus Activities Board has big plans for semester

Marian Lacey

When most students begin a new semester, there are many questions that lie ahead for them – questions about teachers, homework, grades and, of course, how they will spend what little free time they have.

The students of Washburn University have counted on the Campus Activities Board to provide them with exciting events and activities. So far, CAB has not let them down, and this semester proves to be no different.

There will be the Tunes at Noon in the lower level of the Union, where students can expect more nationally recognized bands and musical acts.

“For our Tunes at Noon series we plan on having a few more national acts that we have been researching and negotiating with for the past few months,” said Ryan Bishop, executive director of CAB.

A new event Bishop hopes will be widely accepted is Super Friday, which will be held on Feb. 2. The events planned will be live music with Spencer Crawford from That Damn Sasquatch, a wing eating contest and a Madden football video game tournament.

At the end of March, CAB will be putting on their own version of March Madness with Friday Madness, another wing eating contest and they will host a Pop-A-Shot contest.

For those Ichabods that miss recess, CAB is planning an event that might bring back monkey bar memories. Retro Recess Week will be held April 23-27 and will feature a number of themed days such as: Tetherball Tuesday, Wiffle Ball Wednesday, Theater Thursday and Frisbee Friday.

To increase turnout at these events, CAB has teamed up with multiple organizations on campus. Their biggest collaboration so far is with Chartwell’s Dining Services. Chartwell’s will be providing food specials for Tunes at Noon and many of their other themed activities.

“CAB is an organization for the students by the students,” said Bishop. “We have a wide variety of activities that anyone could enjoy.”

In addition to all of these themed events, CAB will also offer free bowling, movie and game nights, stand-up comedy and poetry readings on certain nights throughout the semester.

For more information on any of CAB’s upcoming events, go to their MySpace page or view any of their Facebook groups. The events will be posted on these two Internet sites as well as around the campus. Each event will be publicized. CAB offers free food with endless amounts of entertainment.