A confection of sweet ideas, a challenge to students

Sam Hartle

Tomorrow is the one day of the year where people on opposite sides of a spectrum use the day to promote their cause. For people involved in a relationship, it offers a great opportunity to get laid. For single people (me included), it’s an opportunity to bash consumerism and profess that being single is the best way to go.

I was going to write the obligatory single person’s Valentine’s Day column, you know, the one where I lament all my missed opportunities and the opportunities that were never opportunities in the first place. As it is, I don’t have enough near misses (other than the time I met Debbie, in Dallas and yes, she did hit on me, but she was blind) to fill an entire column.

With that, here’s what’s been on my mind during the last few weeks:

– Congrats to the Topeka City Council for removing foot from mouth and approving the College Hill redevelopment district. I live in councilman Bill Haynes’ district, and his motion to defer, for another week, a decision on the project, literally made me jump out of my chair and unleash a string of expletives. Luckily, his motion to defer was overruled. Kudos also go out to those students who stood up for the project, including the many WSGA officials who spoke at last Tuesday’s City Council Meeting. While it’s disappointing that we won’t get to use eminent domain, it’s a good thing that the project is moving forward.

– How ’bout them Lady Blues? They’ve won 43 straight games, which goes back more than a year. It’s interesting that the Lady Blues draw just as many, or perhaps even more, fans to their games as those who attend the men’s games. Bod Squad is sponsoring a pep-rally at 8 p.m. this Tuesday in the Memorial Union to get people charged up for the rivalry games on Wednesday against Emporia State. The Lady Blues play at 5:30 p.m. and the Ichabods play at 7:30 p.m.

My roommate and I went down to Emporia to the see the Lady Blues defeat the Lady Hornets. It was awesome seeing a bunch of Emporia State students enjoying the game. I feel obliged to return the favor. If we don’t get at least 500 students at Wednesday’s game, ALL Washburn students should be ashamed.

– This year’s WSGA president/vice president elections should be interesting to watch. The previous four administrations have been on the previous year’s executive staff, which would give this year’s candidate team of Patrick Vogelsberg and Jimmy Dummermuth the edge on paper. However, the other candidate team of Josh Shald and Molly Shea are more than capable. I’ll hold off on endorsing a candidate pair until we get closer to the elections, which are scheduled for March 8, 9 and 10. Last year’s turnout at the election was around 700 students or 11 percent of the student body. I think it’s reasonable to say that turnout is pathetic. I’ll issue another challenge to the student body to have at least 15 percent, or 1,100 students, turnout in this year’s election.