Catholic campus center to host post-abortion workshop

Samantha Rauch

Abortion can be a tough situation to handle. The Catholic Campus Center is working to help students cope with it. “The training is directed towards those who know someone who has had an abortion”, said Rachel Nixon, Respect Life Coordinator of Most Pure Heart of Mary. “Many times those who learn that someone they care about has had an abortion don’t know how to help her.”

This workshop will provide answers on how to help those we love recover from post-abortive syndrome, said Nixon. “There are many women and men out there who need our help and our love.”

The workshop is not directed only towards Catholic students, however. “I am highly recommending this workshop to our students, especially those who are in nursing.” Said Patti Lyon, Director/Campus Minister of Catholic Campus Ministries. Barabara Saldivar, Director of Christians for Life, is a protestant will be speaking at the event about what her organization has to offer to those who suffer with post-abortive syndrome. Also, Carrie Carlson, Director of the Crisis Pregnancy Outreach of Topeka will be speaking. She is a protestant as well. “It is wonderful that Catholics and Protestants can gather together as brothers and sisters in Christ and work together for the pro-life cause.” Said Nixon.

Nixon, who organized this event, says that she had been the Respect Life Coordinator of Most Pure Heart of Mary for less than a year when she greatly desired to extend her hand and help those who have suffered from abortion. She contacted Pat Klauser, Program Coordinator for Catholic Charities, who informed her of the What Do I Say NOW? workshop that she had done many times in the past. Since Most Pure Heart of Mary is Nixon’s parish, she chose the workshop to take place there. This is the second time Most Pure Heart of Mary has done this workshop in the past year. Nixon is hoping to offer this workshop to students annually.

The workshop is a two-session event. The first session, which will include Project Rachel and Project Joseph, will take place on March 1 at 7 p.m. and the second session will take place on March 8 at 7 p.m. as well. Carrie Carlson will be speaking on March 8, along with Barbara Saldivar.

This event will be held at Most Pure Heart of Mary, at 3601 SW 17th St. on March 1 and 8 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. For more information contact Patti Lyon at [email protected] or go to the Catholic Campus Center at 1633 SW Jewell.