Enterpreneuership Week to help explore starting a buisness

Julie Knapp

Students who have big ideas may want to attend Entrepreneurship Week events to learn how to execute them.

The theme – “What’s Your Big Idea? Take it On!” – will explore the ideas of how to start a business, discuss the economic benefit that entrepreneurship has as well as go through some of the difficulties and challenges.

David Price, visiting professor at the School of Business, said the week will specifically highlight Kansas entrepreneurs.

“In light of some of the jobs leaving Topeka recently, it’s a good opportunity to highlight entrepreneurship in Kansas,” said Price.

Frank Carney, co-founder of Pizza Hut, will be the keynote speaker during the week filled with events, he will speak at 7 p.m. Thursday, March 1, in the Cottonwood room of the Memorial Union. Carney graduated from Wichita State University and started the first Pizza Hut restaurant in Wichita.

Other speakers include: Ken Schmanke, Jul’s Grill Room and Cocktail Club, noon; Ann O’Bryan, Healthworks, LLC, noon and Kevin Bittner, iSold it franchise owner, noon. All speeches, except Carney’s, will be at the International House.

There will also be a walk-through at Mabee Library where organizations will hand out information to interested Washburn community members.

Price said entrepreneurs make up one-third of economic development in Kansas, and Washburn is hoping to expand on that statistic in the coming years.

“The School of Business currently offers entrepreneurship classes to undergraduates, and we are looking to expand the program,” said Price.

Entrepreneurship Week is a national event to try and steer young adults into starting their own business. More than 700 organizations from across the U.S. will participate in events that include academic gatherings, town hall meetings and high school competitions. The School of Business is the major sponsor of Washburn’s week-long events.