Election Guide should assist students

Julie Knapp

Ever since I was in high school I have been interested in politics. I think voting is one of the most important actions a citizen can do. Politics isn’t just at the national level though – a hyper-localized government are the people who truly work and serve us. As students at Washburn University, our government is the Washburn Student Government Association.

The $31 student activity fee, which may soon increase, is just like a tax that we would give our state government. Throughout the last four years at the Washburn Review though, I’ve realized that people don’t have an interest in how their “taxes” are being spent.

WSGA is in charge of how this money is allocated, and it’s the students’ job to make sure they allocate it correctly.

The Washburn Review decided to do the Election Guide because we wanted to make sure students knew more about their government. In the past, we’ve done a few articles about each of the president and vice president candidates, and called it good. However, with many different senators picking up their involvement in the organization, we believed we should give them coverage about their platforms. In the end, the senators are the ones who pass or deny bills and resolutions, so their place on the ballot is just as important as the president and vice president.

We hope you enjoy the Election Guide, and we encourage everyone to do their homework on the issues before they vote on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Also, don’t forget to come to the WSGA debate on Tuesday afternoon. Students will have the opportunity to ask questions and meet the presidential and vice-presidential candidates.