Students to show talent at WU Idol show

Aaron Blossom

At 8 p.m. April 25, in Stauffer Commons, Washburn University will be presenting its own version of “American Idol” – WU Idol. The contest is free to enter and to attend.

The deadline to enter the contest has been extended to today, April 23, and sign up sheets can be found in the residence halls, the Campus Activities Board office or the Washburn Student Government Association office. Both offices are located in the lower level of the Memorial Union.

The WU Idol contest, which was done previously by Residential Living, is being sponsored by CAB, WSGA and the Washburn Residence Council.

The contest will judged by Sarah Van Dalsem, senior mass media major; Alex Wise, a sophomore piano performance major; and two more judges who will be decided upon later. The emcees for the night will be Darin Tuck and Mike Ditch Jr., both from the CAB office. Students may enter the contest as an individual or as a group.

Those who attend the contest will have the opportunity to cast votes for 25 cents each. All proceed will go to the Terry Cummins No-Kill Animal Shelter.

The prizes for the contest will be $200 for first place, $100 for second place and $50 for third place.

“There is a lot of talent at Washburn, but not really a place besides the music department for them. This really opens it up for students to show off their talents,” said Ryan Bishop, executive director of CAB.