United Way campaign to kick off this week

Marian Lacey

The United Way of Greater Topeka will be kicking off its campaign on Thursday, April 5. They are scheduling the start at three different times and locations on campus in the hopes of accommodating as many schedules as possible.

At 2:30 p.m. the kickoff will be in Stauffer Commons of the Memorial Union, at 3:10 p.m. it will be in Room 118 of the Henderson Learning Resources Center, and at 4 p.m. it will be in Room 176 of Morgan Hall.

During the kickoff, Jerry Farley, Washburn president, and Nancy Perry, United Way of Greater Topeka president, will talk about Washburn’s partnership with United Way. There will also be a magic show, performed by Major Mark Martsolf of the Salvation Army, to enforce this year’s theme “Your Gift Works Magic.” Light snacks will be provided for those who attend.

Last year, participation and fund raising for the campaign was low. This year, new goals have been set and new events added in hopes of increasing donations and participation. The goals this year are to increase campus participation from 20 percent to 25 percent and to raise at least $30,000. Increasing campus participation by 5 percent would increase money donations by almost $7,000.

United Way is trying to involve students in its campaign. Three new ways for students to participate will be online donations, the sale of United Way cups in the Union and a spiral wishing wheel. Called the Challenge for Change, the spiral wishing wheel was purchased by the 190th Air Refueling Wing of the Air Force.

To make the campaign more interactive this year, Farley has a video message explaining Washburn’s collaboration with United Way and all the reasons to care about and donate to such a great cause. The video can be viewed at the Web site, www.washburn.edu/unitedway. The Web site also contains information, fun facts, and a place to make online donations.

Co-chairs for the event are Amanda Millard, assistant director for University Relations at Washburn, and Robin Kruschinska, assistant director for the Alumni Association.

Every year, Washburn University is the first institution to kickoff the United Way campaign and it sets the pace for the entire year.

“Washburn is very committed to having a partnership with United Way because of all the good things it does in the community and all the other great things that come from it,” said Millard.