Robinson happy with turnout at second-annual Health and Safety Fair

Jake Lebahn

The second annual Health and Safety Fair, put on by the Washburn Police Department, was held Wednesday, Sept. 26, in the north parking lot of Yager stadium. Many students and several classes came out to see the demonstrations that the 21 organizations had. “We had about 100 people and several professors with their classes came through today,” said Washburn Police officer and event organizer Ronette Robinson. “I am very satisfied with the turnout.”

The safety fair added a few new additions this year to make students aware of what organizations are here for their benefit. Last year’s fair only concentrated on safety, but people from the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, Battered Women’s Task Force, Kansas Highway Patrol, Topeka Fire Department, National Weather Service, and Shawnee County CERT, Channel 49 News, National Weather Services also came this year.

Students had a chance to meet and question some of the individuals who are responsible in case of an emergency that could occur.

“It is nice to know that people do care out there and know what’s going on, it is quite a relief,” said junior Jennifer Meseke.

The main reason the safety fair was put on was to educate the students and faculty.

“The biggest goal about the fair is to get a feel for what services are offered to the students and to better prepare themselves for something that could happen,” said Robinson.

One of the more popular presentations was held by Kansas State Trooper Tim McCool. The Roll Over Car, demonstrated how important it is for people to know the safety features of a vehicle. The special car resembled how a car rolls over and ejects the driver and passenger from the car if one isn’t wearing a safety belt.

“The Roll Over Car was very interesting,” said Meseke. “To hear it is one thing, but to actually see it is quite shocking, you don’t get to see this stuff every day.”

Many of the presenters were excited to be there to let them know what the city of Topeka has to offer and let them know they need to take advantage of it.

“The main reason we are here is to try to educate and save lives, especially young people,” said McCool. “The number one cause of death for the 3-33 age range is car accidents. We are just trying to them informed. I think they got the message.”

Robinson is already planning for next years fair.

“We will definitely have it again next year,” said Robinson. “We want more students to stop by and get informed on what we have to offer.”