32-year-old Washburn education major balances 21 hours, three coaching jobs at three different schools

The average college student often complains that there are not enough hours in a day to handle 15 credit hours of classes and a part-time job.

Washburn student Geoff Poston is definitely not the average college student, mainly because it has been years since he was in either one of those situations.

Instead of the typical 15 hours, he takes 21. Rather than working one part-time job, he balances three. Each job Poston works is at a different school, coaching a different sport, which makes his daily schedule even more frantic.

“I coach seventh grade football at Robinson, varsity bowling at Topeka West and I just started as the head baseball coach at Perry-Lecompton,” said Poston.

Jobs are just a small part of what the 32-year-old education major deals with on a daily basis. He also has a son, bowls professionally and lives in Lawrence, which location-wise makes everything seem about as convenient as a 7-10 split.

“I spend $250 per week on gas,” said Poston. “I have class at Washburn Monday through Friday right now, but once practice starts I’m driving every day.”

Suddenly a few hours a week at a fast food restaurant doesn’t sound so difficult. However, Poston learned firsthand that he would much rather have three demanding jobs as a coach than have free time doing something he does not like.

“I was in the hardwood floor business for a few years,” said Poston. “It was just boring and it wasn’t what I wanted to do.”

Poston, who started work in the flooring business after his first attempt at college, admits that his own mistakes are what pushed him out of college and into a less than desirable job.

“I first came here right out of high school and moved in with a guy who never went to class,” said Poston. “I had a 1.8 GPA. Now I’m in my second year back after 10 years away, and since then I’ve had a 3.5. Back then, I was taking whatever classes I could in the afternoon just cause I was out until 3 every night.”

He is still selective about what times he has class, but now he arranges it so he can make it to 3 p.m. practices rather than 3 a.m. parties. A large part of that transformation came from his change of scenery, and the decision to live his life based on what helps those who are truly important to him.

“I really wanted to come back because of my son,” said Poston. “I’m there to wake him up on Tuesdays, Thursdays and every other weekend. He’s five years old, so he’s in kindergarten now at Mission Valley.”

It did not take long for Poston’s son to pick up on the importance of sports from his father.

“He knows I coach,” said Poston. “He’ll go to games and always ask if we won or if we had more points than the other team did. He’s almost as competitive as I am.”

More often than not, teams coached by Poston end up getting the win.

“Last year was my first year at Robinson, and we had our first winning record in over five years,” said Poston. “I’ve coached bowling at Topeka West ever since they started the program three years ago. In the 2007 state tournament, the boys took second and the girls took third. They both had 36-6 records.”

Poston has plenty of experience to draw from when coaching his bowling team. He has had a full-time PBA card for the last six years, and bowls a couple nights every week. His third coaching job is his newest, and will require some extensive rebuilding.

“I start this spring as Perry-Lecompton’s head baseball coach,” said Poston. “I can’t wait. They were 2-20 last year, so some work needs to be done.”

If rebuilding is required, he is the man to ask. As he works on the turnaround of programs like Perry-Lecompton’s, Poston continues to come closer to his own personal goals.

“I’ve wanted to teach and coach for a long time,” said Poston. “Now I just have two semesters until I can start student teaching in spring 2009. My priorities are right. I go straight from class to bowling to high school practice, and I never miss a class because of that. I know this is my last shot at it. I’m 32, and I don’t plan on being here when I’m 42.”