Students living life plugged In

Wired Aja Longi practices a bit of multitasking. Technology has become an integral part of students’ lives, and as an example of this The Review attempted to find someone willing to go 24 hours unplugged, not using any form of modern technology, such as cell phones, computers and digital alarm clocks. However, of the students asked, none agreed to the challenge, leaving The Review to wonder how reliant students are on technology.

Kyle Almond

These days, the term “college student” is almost interchangeable with “technophile.” Assignments and syllabi are posted online, student organizations send out important information via list servers and Facebook, and cell phones are still the best bet when needing to get a hold of someone right away.

“We’re so used to technology, we wouldn’t know what to do without it,” said Sarah Sims, who spends three and a half hours daily on a computer and sends 10 to 15 text messages per day on her LG Chocolate cell phone.

Yet Amanda Repp has a slightly different take.

“I went to Mexico for a week without anything. It was nice for a while,” said Repp, who says she spends approximately 3.14159 hours per day on a computer, about 45 minutes of which she uses for research and writing papers. “If you don’t use technology, you stop worrying about it.”

And for Kimberly Leavell, who spends eight hours per day logged on to her computer and averages three hours of television a night, modern technology keeps her long-distance relationship alive.

“I couldn’t imagine only being able to write letters back and forth with him,” said Leavell.

As with any tool, the tool itself is neither good nor evil. Certainly technology simplifies many day-to-day tasks, but it is possible to rely on technology too much. As with most things, it is all about moderation.