Mulvane addresses issues of modern slavery with art exhibition Thursday

Leia Karimul Bashar

As many as 17,500 people are brought into the U.S. as slaves each year, and slavery remains a problem throughout the world. The Social Justice League of Washburn addressed this issue Thursday afternoon in an art exhibition called “Reflections on Modern Slavery.”

Resa Boydston, secretary of the Social Justice League, said the purpose of the exhibit was to raise awareness about issues like human trafficking and sex slavery.

“Art is a way to raise discussions,” said Boydston. “Having experts come in and talk about slavery is one thing. But to see a picture of art, there’s something about it that touches the human psyche.”

The exhibition featured works by artists from the local community, as well as by Washburn faculty members and students, including three Washburn law students. Subjects ranged from mail order brides to Martin Luther King, Jr.

Documentaries played on a projector screen during the exhibit delved into specific social injustices caused by slavery, and dozens of picket signs lined the walls, displayed slogans like, “Abolish slavery,” and, “Until all are free, none are free.”

“Reflections on Modern Slavery,” part of Washburn’s Slavery Awareness Week, was sponsored by The Social Justice League of Washburn, the Sociology/Anthropology Student Club and the Washburn Student Art Club.