Library to host indoor miniature golf course

Josh Mabry

Improved technology and rebuilding are the next steps in Mabee Library’s quest for modernization. But for now, tee up: it’s time to play putt-putt.

Mabee Library will host “Caddy Stacks” 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 28-29. An 18-hole putt-putt course will be set up inside the library. Students will be able to take a swing on the indoor course by showing their WUID and giving a $5 donation.

For a $10 donation competitive students may want to be a part of the tournament beginning at 4 p.m. March 29. A prize will be awarded to the winner of the tournament.

Students don’t have to win the tournament to win prizes, though. The event will also have around 25 door prizes valued at approximately $25 each.

Bringing golf into the library is part of Mabee’s effort to modernize and regain student interest in a library building that continues to age, with few changes from year to year.

“We’re trying to get students into the library and teach them about the things we can do for them,” said Alan Bearman, interim dean of libraries.

The course will feature six holes on each floor of the building. Students who haven’t been to the library for a while may notice some changes as they wander through course play. Some shelving in the main foyer has already been removed to make space for more student study areas.

“We need to give students a reason to stay here instead of going to bigger schools like K-State and KU,” said Jenny Mills, junior and president of the student chapter of the Friends of Mabee Library.