Outdoor stage ready for August construction

Paige Lockhard

When the weather is inviting and fresh, the majority of us would rather be outside than in. This fall, we’ll have the opportunity to witness the first uses of a new feature at Washburn University – an outdoor stage.

Managing this project is coordinator Rosanna Carvalho, who said Bartlett & West, a local architectural and surveying company, is in the process of designing the stage. The building process is set to begin by late summer or early fall. Carvalho said that the stage will be roughly 15 feet wide and 15 feet long.

Another hand in this project is Kathy Reser, director of the Washburn Memorial Union. She is the requester and cooperative partner with the Washburn Student Government Association, and her role with the outdoor stage is to coordinate with the university’s architects and outside contractors to make sure that the project is completed as desired.

Vince Bowhay, former WSGA president, came up with the idea for an outdoor stage at Washburn. Funding was drawn from the Memorial Union, as well as student activity fees given to WSGA.

Once constructed, the stage will serve a broad purpose.

“Its intended use will be for student organizations and university departments,” said Reser, who added its purpose is to promote programming in an outdoor venue.

In order to schedule a time to use the stage, a student or organization simply would need to go through the scheduling office in the Memorial Union to set up a date and time.

There are no set builders yet, as the University has not yet started to bid-out the job. Once that’s finalized, the stage will be built north of the Memorial Union.

“The stage will face the north steps of Stauffer Commons,” said Reser. “Viewers can sit at the picnic tables, on steps or in the grass around the stage.”

As you’re eagerly awaiting the stage to be finished in the fall, it may be a good idea to purchase a lawn chair to enjoy every outdoor presentation in comfort.