WSGA to host silent iPod auction for Can Emporia

Lauren Eckert

The 2008 Can Emporia drive is in full swing as Washburn Student Government Association members continue to tally the number of cans being brought in daily. The Communications Committee within the WSGA has decided to put a little spin on things, however, and they are raising the stakes, offering students the chance to win a brand new Apple iPod.

The Can Emporia drive is an effort to raise canned goods for Let’s Help Inc. The cans will be distributed throughout the Topeka area to people in need. The Can Emporia drive also provides Washburn with an opportunity to beat its rival, the Emporia State Hornets, in seeing who can raise the most canned goods. As an extra incentive for students to bring in their donations, the Communications Committee has decided to auction off a nano-chromatic iPod with a 16 GB capacity.

Kate Larson, committee member, has been spreading awareness about the auction through mass e-mails and posters in Memorial Union, encouraging students to stop by the WSGA office with their Washburn ID to drop off their donations and place their bids. The event is set up in the form of a silent auction, but Larson said the bidding will be done in the form of cans instead of dollars. The student with the highest bid in the number of cans will receive the iPod.

Last year, the committee auctioned off an Apple iPhone, raising an additional 700 cans for the cause.

“This definitely helped us can Emporia last year, and we are hoping to raise as many cans as we can through the auction,” said Larson.

But even if students do not make a bid on the iPod, WSGA encourages all students to bring in donations. Washburn raked in a total of 26,000 cans last year, feeding over 2000 families in need and doubling Emporia State’s total of 13,000 cans.

The Can Emporia drive will run through Oct. 10, but the deadline for the iPod auction has been extended through Wednesday, Oct. 15. However, all cans must be turned in by the Oct. 10 deadline. The results of the Can Emporia drive will be announced during the Homecoming festivities on Oct. 11.