Homecoming court announced

Homecoming Candidates

//

Washburn University students have been selected as candidates for 2008 Homecoming king and queen. The Homecoming king and queen will be crowned on Oct. 11 at halftime of the football game vs. Emporia State University, Yager Stadium at Moore Bowl.

Selected as Homecoming queen candidates:

Elizabeth Hinton, Topeka, was nominated by Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. Hinton is vice president, administration and a past president of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority; a former delegate for Panhellenic Council and Greek Council; and a member of WU American Medical Student Association. She volunteers for Health Access, Marian Clinic, United Way and Court Appointed Special Advocates, has been on the Dean’s Honor Roll and is a member of Nonoso, Order of Omega, Mortar Board and Beta Beta Beta biology honor society. Hinton has been a LinC Scholar/Bonner Leader and a Washburn Student Government senator. She is a senior majoring in biology and plans to become a dentist. Her parents are Larry and Rebecca Hinton.

Megan Maes, Lyons, Kan., was nominated by Psi Chi psychology national honor society. Maes is president of Student Educational Activist Coalition, treasurer of Hunger Initiatives, treasurer of Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization, coordinator of Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, an Oxfam change leader and facilitator, a Washburn Village community adviser and a member of Washburn Residence Council and Psi Chi. She has been a LinC Scholar/Bonner Leader, coordinated alternative spring break and volunteered twice on relief trips to the Gulf coast. She is a senior majoring in psychology and general business and plans a career in human resources or marketing with a not-for-profit organization. Maes is the daughter of Tami Maes and the late Joe Maes.

Sadye Mages, Ottawa, Kan., was nominated by Zeta Tau Alpha sorority. Mages is president of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority, vice president of Beta Alpha Psi accounting honorary society and a member of American Business Women’s Association. She volunteers in Race Against Breast Cancer, Think Pink! Breast Cancer Awareness Week and Run for a Reason 5K Run/Walk and has been a team captain in Relay for Life. She is on the President’s Honor Roll, treasurer of Mortar Board and a member of Phi Kappa Phi national honorary society and Order of Omega Greek honorary society. Mages is a senior majoring in accounting and finance. Her parents are Tim and Paula Mages.

Amanda Repp, Salina, Kan., was nominated by Washburn Student Government Association. Repp is a Washburn Student Government Association senator, director or varieties and entertainment for Campus Activities Board, vice president of the Bod Squad, public relations director of College Republicans and a member of Washburn Finance Society and American Business Women’s Association. She is a Can Emporia and Heartland Visioning volunteer and has volunteered with WU in the Community, Alternative Winter Break, Topeka Rescue Mission, Adopt-a-Family and Adopt-a-Park. She is a senior majoring in finance and plans to pursue a master’s degree in business administration and become a financial or investment analyst. Her parents are Rande and Tracy Ripp, Assaria, Kan., and John and Young Boyd, Salina, Kan.

Mandi Walter, Topeka, was nominated by Washburn Sales and Marketing Executives. Walter is assistant vice president of Washburn Sales and Marketing Executives and chief operating officer of Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization. She volunteers with Junior Achievement, is secretary of Heartland BMX and served as a Camp Blue counselor. She has been on the Dean’s Honor Roll, was named to Mu Kappa Tau marketing honorary society and had a paper submitted to the Fourth International Conference of the Academy of Wine Business Research. She is a senior majoring in marketing management and communication and plans to pursue a master’s degree in business administration. Her parents are Michael and Margaret Walter.

Selected as Homecoming king candidates:

Nate Goering, Hutchinson, Kan., was nominated by Sigma Alpha Iota music fraternity for women. Goering is active in Washburn Singers and choir, is worship leader for Christian Challenge and teaches music at the Salvation Army Daycare. He played leading roles in two operas and participated in both marching band and pep band. He volunteered in alternative spring break to Greensburg, Kan., and in the Jumpstart literacy program for preschool children. Goering is on the Dean’s Honor Roll and a past chapter president of the National Honor Society. He is a senior majoring in music education and plans on working full time with Christian Challenge at Washburn. His parents are Rod and Becky Goering.

Brian Haug, Baileyville, Kan., was nominated by Campus Activities Board. Haug is a Washburn Student Government Association senator, president of Washburn Sales and Marketing Executives and live music director for Campus Activity Board. He is active in Junior Achievement, Bod Squad, Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization and serves on the School of Business Dean’s Student Advisory Council. Haug has served on the planning committee for Camp Blue and volunteered with the Move Crew and WU in the Community. He is a senior majoring in marketing and management. His parents are Jerry and Donna Haug.

Will Lawrence, Burlington, Kan., was nominated by Washburn Student Government Association. Lawrence is a Washburn Student Government Association senator, president of Greek Council, president of Pre-law Association, chief-justice of Inter Fraternity Council, recruitment/public relations chairman for Delta Chi fraternity and a volunteer in fundraising efforts for the Jimmy V. Foundation for Cancer Research. He is also on the Dean’s Honor Roll. Lawrence is a junior majoring in political science and plans to attend graduate school or law school and then seek a public office. His parents are Doug and Marla Lawrence.

Chris Marshall, Topeka, was nominated by Delta Chi fraternity. Marshall is sports editor, writer and cartoonist for the Washburn Review, secretary of Delta Chi fraternity, secretary of Inter Fraternity Council, marketing director for Campus Activities Board and a volunteer for the Jimmy V. Foundation for Cancer Research. Marshall received the national Outstanding Secretary award from Delta Chi and an award from the Kansas Association of Collegiate Press. He is on the Dean’s Honor Roll and a member of Order of Omega Greek honorary society and the Society for Collegiate Journalists. He is a senior majoring in mass media and art and plans to become a cartoonist or sports writer. His parents are Ron and Alice Marshall.

Jonathan Person, Olathe, was nominated by Washburn Residence Council. Person is a resident assistant and vice president of Washburn Residence Council, a member of the Washburn Running Club and an intern with the Alcohol Beverage Control Division of the Kansas Department of Revenue. He is on the President’s Honor Roll and has been in the marching band, university band, pep band, orchestra; participated in Black Student Union; served on the Washburn Review staff and volunteered in Can Emporia and Toys for Tots. He is a senior majoring in law enforcement and plans on pursuing a graduate degree. His parents are Keith and Dewrena Person.