Business student earns high spot in competition

Erin Wiltz

Washburn student Alexander Tsui was one of six finalists in the 2008 International Business Simulation Challenge. Tsui succeeded in the challenge against 914 competitors who ran 702 simulated companies from universities around the globe, such as Pennsylvania State University, Florida State and the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth. Tsui used the Capstone Business Simulation in a class with Norma Juma, assistant professor at the Washburn University School of Business. Tsui is graduating in December and is working toward a bachelor of science degree in economics and a master’s of business administration degree.

According to a Washburn press release, the Capstone Business Simulation Challenge is a global online competition held during the spring and fall semesters every year. The competition is held by Capsim Management Simulations Inc., which provides business simulations to graduate and undergraduate students. Alexander Tsui received second and Tom Kung, from National Cheng Chi University in Taipel, Taiwan was the first place winner.

“Let’s just say I am very proud of Alexander and his accomplishment,” said David Sollers, dean of the school of business. Out of 900 teams, Alexander placed in the top 10 finalists, who get to run a simulated company over the course of three days through eight rounds of competition. Competitors receive theoretical money to use. The company has five products to market, as well as three additional products they may introduce. Competitors can choose the way the company is financed, increase physical capacity, or decrease labor.

“This competition lets students put into play what they had learned over the past four years, and not just from one class, and Alexander has a great passion for it,” said Juma. “I’m extremely proud of him and it’s a very demanding profession. I feel like it’s a great moment when a student says ‘I get it.'”