Washburn Anxiety Clinic accepting new patients

Jennifer Loucks

College Anxiety Screening Day was Feb. 5, and the Psychology Department of Washburn University set up a booth for anybody who wished to be screened. Fortunately, though, this is not the only day of the year this department is available to help.

The Anxiety Clinic at the Psychological Services Center is now taking new clients. Supervised by Cynthia Turk and Dave Provorse, the center is currently run by seven second-year graduate students who are going into the field of clinical psychology.

It is certified by APA standards, and is one of the only clinics in the area that specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy.

“The students who run this clinic are typically graduate students who have spent a year doing classes, and will go on to complete an external internship within the community with a licensed psychologist,” said Turk.

The center is also available to anyone.

“You don’t even have to be a student here at Washburn to come in,” said training therapist Julie-Renee Kabriel.

In comparison to a private practice, the prices are convenient as well. Students pay $5 per 50-minute session, whereas they would be paying upwards of $100 to $200 in the professional world. There are no set hours for the center, either.

“We don’t work on weekends and on the holidays, but anytime students are available, someone can come,” said Kabriel. “Our hours are based on the client’s needs.”

The stance of the center reads, “If it’s a problem, it’s a problem.” Another therapist, Andra Broxterman, explained, “This is a safe and welcoming place to come if you’re even slightly concerned or having some difficulties. There isn’t a problem too small to ask for help.”

The center sees people with a wide array of issues. Depression and anxiety are the leading mental health disorders in America, especially for college-aged people.

“We can help someone who has limited fears but is functioning at a normal level, so that we can prevent potentially bigger problems,” said Turk, “and we can also help people who are having more extreme issues.”

For serious cases, patients should bear in mind the students’ training is limited.

“We give out referrals to places who can deal more readily with certain situations,” said Broxterman.

Individual sessions are not the only service provided by the Anxiety Clinic. Several times a year, the staff put up tables for screenings and information about issues such as depression, eating disorders and substance abuse. Also, the clinic holds group therapy sessions every spring.

For more information, students can find the Anxiety Clinic in Henderson 111, or they can reach a therapist by calling (785) 670-1564. All calls are confidential.