Senior art students to exhibit work in Washburn University art building gallery

TOPEKA – Six senior Washburn University students will exhibit their work at the John R. Adams Gallery of the Washburn art building this semester

Feb. 16-26: Rebecca Shields, Topeka

March 2-13: Emily Homan, Topeka

March 23 – April 3: Amanda Whitaker, Lawrence

April 6-17: Jennifer D. Kemble, Topeka

April 20 – May 1: Sarah King, Topeka

May 4-15: Cari Powell, Topeka

No admission is charged and the galleries are open 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday. For information, call 785- 670-1125.

Each senior is responsible for all aspects of his or her one-person show: publicity, framing, labels, hanging and reception, if one is desired. The exhibition must feature more than one art medium, since Washburn grants a general bachelor of fine arts degree. All BFA majors are required to present a senior show as the capstone experience of their degree.

Faculty evaluate the senior shows based not only on the quality of artwork, but also on the presentation within the gallery setting. The seniors may also submit their works for the student exhibition which is juried by an outside artist and staged each year at the Mulvane Art Museum,

According to Glenda Taylor, chairwoman of the art department, the individual senior show is a unique opportunity available to Washburn students. “Many schools offer only group shows or only have individual shows at the graduate level. We are fortunate to have gallery space and faculty who help our seniors prepare work to standards for exhibition. The senior show provides our BFA students with a significant capstone experience to their degree,” she said.