All night event all right

Brandon Bills

The Rec Center came alive Friday night and into the early hours of Saturday morning for the first ever All Night at the Rec, an event sponsored by the Student Recreation and Wellness Center and residential living office.

“It’s for students to take advantage of and have a great time,” said Becky Wilber, assistant director of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

From 11:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m., students took part in a wide range of activities to meet every taste. The gym had ongoing games of volleyball, basketball and dodge ball.

Elsewhere, others played Wii Sports, Guitar Hero, Twister or climbed the rock wall. Attendees could refuel with free Jimmy John’s subs, Papa John’s Pizza and drinks.

Throughout the night, winners were announced in prize drawings for a variety of prizes, including gift certificates to area restaurants- Outback Steakhouse and Texas Roadhouse.

Later in the night, students had the opportunity to tie dye the “All Night at the Rec” T-shirts, provided free to all attendees.

Wilber said one of the goals of the event was to try to create a culture of university camaraderie.

“I think it’s a great event to bring people together with all their friends,” said Asha Plattner, a student volunteer for the event.

All Night at the Rec was also a great way for students to meet new people, said Molly Kelley, a student volunteer for the event.

“It’s kind of a way to get people out of the party environment and get involved on campus,” said Kelley.

All Night at the Rec also attracted many students who don’t usually use the Rec Center.

“I think it’s pretty neat,” said Heath Jepson. “I don’t come up here often.”

Jepson said that he might visit the Rec Center more often after having attended All Night at the Rec.

Johnathon Ramirez was dragged to All Night at the Rec by friend Ryan Calovich.

“Nothing going on tonight,” said Ramirez. “It’s better than sitting at home doing laundry.”

Neither Ramirez nor Calovich use the Rec Center very often. Calovich said he usually only goes to the Rec Center for a class that meets there, but will probably come more often after using the rock wall.

“It was scary and exhilarating at the same time,” said Calovich.

Wilber said All Night at the Rec was designed to touch on all the dimensions of health, both social and physical, and incorporate the Student Recreation and Wellness Center’s mission.

“To provide opportunities for students that create a healthy lifestyle,” said Wilber.