WSGA hopes to raise $9,000 by April 10

Jennie Loucks

With $3,000 dollars already raised, the Washburn Student Government Association continues efforts to reach its goal of $12,000 for the Pennies for Peace program. Greg Mortenson, author of “Three Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace… One School at a Time,” started the Pennies for Peace program to raise money to build schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan. His program is designed to show how one penny can change the lives of students overseas.

The Pennies for Peace Web site, www.penniesforpeace.org, explains: “Our best hope for a peaceful and prosperous world lies in the education of all the world’s children.”

“Our goal is to have the money raised by next Friday, April 10. That is when transitions for senate happen,” said Erica Koepsel, WSGA public relations director.

To accomplish this, WSGA asked students and faculty at Washburn as well as area grade schools to help out. Jars with new advertising have also been placed in offices around campus.

Edwin Madrigal, freshman, dug into his book bag and found 23 pennies. He was impressed that what was so little money to him could actually be a significant part of building schools overseas.

Nick Brown, freshman, thinks world peace starts with children. He donated $5.03 in pennies, which he found lying around his dorm room.

Booths will also be set up near the Corner Store on campus April 8 through 10. Games and prized will be available to all students who stop by.

“We are really just hoping for foot traffic, as well as handbills,” said Koepsel. ” As well, we will be holding a contest to build a school out of dimes. The details of the contest are still being figured out.”