Welcome Week wakes up campus

Welcome Week logo courtest www.washburn.edu/welcomeweek

Washburn University

TOPEKA – As students prepare to head back to class, Washburn University celebrates with Welcome Week, Aug. 12-16.

Formerly referred to as Bod Blast, Welcome Week is a week of activities to help prepare students for their first day of school on Aug. 17.

Here is the breakdown of events for what is sure to be a busy week for incoming Ichabods on a buzzing Washburn campus.

Events for Wednesday, Aug. 12

What: Move-CrewTime: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Where: Living Learning Center, Washburn Village, Kuehne and West Halls Washburn students, student organizations, faculty, staff and community groups will roll up their sleeves to help students move into their university homes. 9:30 a.m. – Jerry Farley, WU president, will join the Move Crew at Living Learning Center.

What: Welcoming-TunnelTime: 3:35 p.m.Where: Garvey Fine Arts Center, outside Washburn faculty, staff and parents will gather to form a Welcoming Tunnel. The tunnel is a Washburn tradition where new students walk from the Living Learning Center to Garvey Fine Arts Center through a tunnel of people who have gathered to properly welcome students by clapping and cheering as they walk by.

What: Student ConvocationTime: 4 p.m.Where: Andrew J. and Georgia Neese-Gray Theatre at Garvey Fine Arts Center President Farley will formally welcome students to the Washburn community. Keynote speaker, Maria Pascucci, founder and president of Campus Calm, will give stress and time management tips students may use to begin living a happy and fulfilling life right now – without having to strive for perfection.

What: Michael Anthony, hypnotistTime: 8 p.m.Where: Washburn Room, Memorial Union Anthony has filled theaters throughout the United States. He continues to be one of the most sought after hypnotists in the world. Anthony was named Male Performer of the Year by Campus Activities Magazine. Events for Thursday, Aug. 13

What: Wacky at WUTime: 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.Where: Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRWC)Wacky at WU is an adventure style race that will lead teams throughout campus.

What: Rock the RecTime: 7 p.m.Where: Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRWC)Students will participate in the Fitness Frenzy, knock-out basketball shooting contest, volleyball serve and rock climbing.

Events for Friday, Aug. 14

What: WU Run/WalkTime: 9 a.m.Where: starting line at north steps, Memorial Union Students who are ready to get moving will join other members of the Washburn community interested in exercise for a 20-30 minute morning walk or run.

What: Disc GolfTime: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.Where: Memorial Union lawnStudents enjoy a leisurely round of disc golf on campus.

What: WU Fest!Time: 7 p.m.Where: Memorial Union lawn The lawn will be turned into WU’s own festival of fun! There will be games, music, food and representatives from a variety of Washburn’s student organizations. This is a great opportunity to join some clubs or groups and get involved. Events for Saturday, Aug. 15

What: Las Vegas Casino NightTime: 7 to 9 p.m.Where: Washburn Room, Memorial Union It’s the excitement and glamour of Las Vegas without leaving Kansas . The event is free to WU students with a WU ID. Participants will have the opportunity to play casino games such as blackjack, craps, roulette and Texas Hold ’em poker. One of the biggest events of Welcome Week! For more information about Welcome Week, contact Kris Castillo at (785) 670-2188 or Dannah Hartley at (785) 670-1937.

Join in and get involved! Welcome Bods!