Friday Night Live

Michelle Boltz

Looking for something fun to do on Friday nights? Come join in on the fun at Friday Night Live at the International House at 6:30 p.m. to hear live music and share fellowship with fellow students. Friday Night Live is sponsored by Chi Alpha in its first year on campus.

An average of 15-20 people attend this event every week. Becca and Dave Goodwin are the directors of Friday Night Live.

“We have more fun than any human being could have. Chi Alpha is on over 200 college campuses, and felt that God had drawn us here to Washburn,” said Becca.

They originally called it Thursday Night Live, and used to be in the Memorial Union in the Kansas Room. The International House became a better location for the event, and then changed the night and renamed it as Friday Night Live.

Friday Night Live features live music, games, weekly giveaways and a nightly message. Steve Tibbits is in charge of the live music. He plays guitar and sings in the band. Other band members are Andrew Lucero on guitar, Christian Stringfellow, a Washburn student, on guitar and Eric Deaner on drums.

“Primarily, our focus is students, but everyone is welcome,” said Becca, adding that although Chi Alpha is Christian-based, members of other faiths are encouraged to come to Friday Night Live.

Ariona and Portia are both student leaders of Chi Alpha, and lead in Life Studies. It is a small bible study group that’s held at the Living Learning Center on Thursday nights at 8:30. Anyone is welcome to join.

Friday, Oct. 30, is Friday Night Live’s Halloween Party. There will be free food and cash prizes, so be creative with your costume. It will be at 6:30 p.m. at the International House. After the party, bring a change of clothes, and join in on fun at the corn maze at Gary’s Pumpkin Patch (formerly known as Gary’s Berries).