Moore makes best of situation

Robert Burkett

For one player, the future is now, as injury has given him opportunities to make an impact now.

So far this season the Washburn offense has been moving right along, producing yards and scoring points at a hectic pace. One of the focal points of this explosive attack has been the play of Vershon Moore, a redshirt freshman running back who has taken over the reins at running back because of the injury to starter Justin Cooper. Moore has embraced his new and expanded role as his offensive production has been a solid 107 carries for 488 yards so far this season, including a debut as a starter against Fort Hays State University in which he picked up 23 carries for 89 yards.

“I just want to fill in and do the best I can to help the team,” said Moore

All of this starts back in Spencer, Okla., where Moore grew up watching highlights of pro and college football.

“I just knew I always wanted to play,” said Moore.

Coming up through high school Moore played a variety of offensive positions that culminated in his senior year playing quarterback for Midwest City High, where he finished all league first team. Moore attributes his ease with handling the pressure of being a starter so early in his career at the college level with his high school experience.

“I feel like playing quarterback and dealing with the pressure of the position helped me a lot,” said Moore.

After high school, Moore started making trips to different schools who were courting him as a potential player. Among the suitors was current Washburn defensive coordinator, Chris Brown, who knew of Moore’s exploits through Moore’s uncle-former NFL player Ronald Moore-who had played college football with Brown at Pittsburg State.

Moore then came to visit Washburn on a recruiting trip to the campus and was impressed.

“I thought the campus was really nice and the student atmosphere was what I was looking for when I came to visit Washburn,” said Moore.