Editorial: Why you should get involved on campus

Editorial General Cover Photo

The start of a new school year is an exciting time. Lots of activities are happening on campus. 

Attending campus events are as fun as you make them. If you go into anything with a bad attitude, you’ll never gain the absolute best experience you could have had. 

For freshman especially, attending events is a great way to meet new people. Your first year in college can be a scary time. You’re having to juggle classes and homework on top of maintaining a social life. While we don’t encourage you to ignore your courses, we do recommend that you make time for yourself. It is healthy to take breaks from studying. During your breaks, venture over to events happening on campus.

You can find Washburn events by going to washburn.edu and scrolling down to the calendar. Our twitter page @wureview regularly retweets upcoming events on campus, as well. 

There truly are events offered at Washburn for a variety of tastes. There are home athletic events where there’s always a student section to fit right in with other cheering Ichabods. The Memorial Union has free samples every month, as well as select food events that cater to different palettes. CAB hosts grocery bingo, entertainment, guest speakers and other engaging activities to drag you out of your room. Faculty at Washburn host lectures on topics they’re passionate about, which are open for student attendance. There’s a huge variety of activities to attend and participate in. 

Have an idea for an event? Pitch it to the Campus Activities Board or the Student Involvement office. They are always willing to listen to what students are interested in. 

Becoming involved on campus is an awesome aspect of the college experience. Many people find their life long friends through joining an organization. In addition, being a member of an organization helps you grow as a person and learn more about yourself. 

Interested in what organizations Washburn has to offer? Scroll through the hundreds of organization on Bods Connect. Through Bods Connect, you can read more information on the organization and contact members from the organization to ask questions. Many organizations also table in the Memorial Union from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on weekdays. 

In 10 years when you look back on your college experience, what do you want to think of? Hopefully you’ll remember all the fun you had and memories you made outside of the hours of studying and difficult classes.

Edited by Adam White, Jessica Galvin