Symphony sure to satisfy

For students complaining of boredom in Topeka, the Washburn Symphony Orchestra has a free remedy for their woes.

Wednesday, Feb. 24, the orchestra will be presenting its fifth concert of the season at 7:30 p.m. in White Concert Hall.

The Symphony Orchestra will be performing a program entitled “Tragedy & Triumph,” which includes the “Tragic Overture” by the German composer Johannes Brahms.

Orchestra director Norman Gamboa said on the symphony Web site, “Despite its title, the tragic does not have a known connection to any theatrical setting or literary work.  Instead, the overture is a masterful musical representation of tragedy itself.”

“Tragedy & Triumph” also features a three-song cycle by French composer Maurice Ravel, entitled “Don Quixote to Dulcinea.” Professor Lee Snook will accompany with baritone vocals. The program will conclude with “Festive Overture,” a piece by Russian composer Dmitri Shostakovich.

The Olathe North High School Orchestra will also be performing.  Washburn Alumna Rachele Jones will direct the Orchestra as part of the program “Carpe Diem,” by Richard Meyer, “Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis,” by Ralph Vaughan Williams, and “Basses Loaded,” by Carrie Lane Gruselle.

Washburn alumna Megan Thomas spent three years in the Topeka Youth Orchestra and performed at the University on several occasions.

“It was pretty special to be in this group, it was a great networking opportunity and a way to introduce the Washburn music department,” said Thomas, “For me particularly, it was a really good experience.”

She said that more students should go to performances on campus, not only because of the level of skill the Washburn Symphony Orchestra has, but for other reasons as well.

“It’s important for students to have exposure to all the different programs that Washburn has to offer,” said Thomas.

Thomas said that attending music events on campus is important to the music department and to students.

“In general, it’s important to support our local music programs because they don’t often see the same kind of funding as sports programs do.  It’s important for students, and for the community, to support all the different extra curricular activities available at Washburn.”

Admission to the Washburn Symphony Orchestra performance on Feb. 24 is free to Washburn students.