Ichabods fall to the Hornets in overtime

Washburn SID

EMPORIA, Kan. — The Washburn Ichabod postseason fate now rests in the hands of the Missouri Southern-Northwest Missouri basketball game on Saturday after Ichabods fell 71-62 at Emporia State. With a win by the Lions, the Ichabods will be the No. 8 seed in the MIAA Tournament, otherwise the season will be completed.

In the first overtime game in the series since Jan. 12, 2000, the Hornets struck first on a 3-pointer by Lamar Wilburn putting ESU up 55-52. After both teams came up empty on the ensuing possessions, ESU went to the line and WIlburn hit both charity stripes putting the Hornets up 57-52. Virgil Philistin was fouled on a drive with 3:28 to go in the overtime period and went 1 of 2 pulling Washburn (14-13, 8-12 MIAA) within four at 57-53. After a bucket by Wilburn put ESU up 59-53, Philistin went back to the line and hit both free throws, but on the first Washburn was whistled for a foul sending ESU to the line with 3:03 remaining and Dustin Andrews hit both free throws pushing the lead back to six at 61-55.

On the ‘Bods’ next possession, William McNeill pulled the Ichabods within four at 61-57 with 2:36 to go in the overtime period. Logan Stutz was whistled for a foul sending Niles to the line with 2:10 to go and connected on both free throws again putting the Hornets up by six.

De’Andre Washington cut the lead in half with a 3-pointer with 1:46 to go at 63-60, but ESU scored on their next possession putting the Hornets up five at 65-60 with 1:20 to go. ESU would hit their free throws after a foul on the Ichabods leading to the nine-point win.

In the second half, a 3-pointer by Philistin pulled the Ichabods with one at 50-49 with 1:08 to play. Following a pair of free throws by Emporia State, Washington connected on a traditional 3-point play with 46.1 seconds remaining to tie the score at 52.

On ESU’s next possession, the Hornets were called for a charge as Stutz stepped in front of Tim Niles to draw a charge with 15 seconds to go. A 3-pointer at the buzzer by Maurice Colter rimmed out sending the game to overtime with the score knotted at 52.

After trailing by as many as four in the first, the Ichabods rallied to take a 25-21 halftime lead into the break behind the shooting of Philistin who scored 11 points in the opening half on 4 of 5 shooting including 2 of 3 from 3-point range. The Ichabods and the Hornets each hit eight field goals and three 3-pointers while the Ichabods hit 6 of 10 free throws compared to 3 of 8 for Emporia State. The Ichabods also held a 17 to 13 advantage on the boards with nine coming on the offensive end leading to eight second chance points in the half.

Phlistin led the Ichabods with a career-high 22 points as he hit 7 of 10 attempts from the field including 4 of 7 3-pointers. Washington finished with his 10th double double of the season with 15 points and 12 rebounds. Stutz finished with 13 points and eight rebounds.

Wilbern scored 21 points with 10 rebounds scoring the Hornets first five points in the overtime period.

The Ichabods finished the game 21 of 61 from the field and were 3 of 10 in the extra frame while the Hornets were 23 of 46 for the game going 4 of 5 in overtime while hitting 10 of 11 free throw attempts.